Vampire Academy finally released in India yesterday, and after five years of waiting, I spent my V(A)-Day with Dimitri and Christian on the big screen. The film adaptation, based on the first book of Richelle Mead’s series, released last week in North America to some harsh critical reviews and a poor box office. This in turn made me anxious to see the film and I was starting to feel sure it would disappoint me. Guess what fangirls and boys? It did not. We’ve covered the release of the film these past few months and now we are going to discuss the film, without (any major) spoilers so that all of you can go watch and enjoy it.
For the uninitiated, the story is about Rose Hathaway, a half-human, half-vampire Dhampir girl who is best friends with Lissa Dragomir, a Moroi vampire princess and must save her not only from the threats of the undead Strigoi that lurk in the shadows but also the threats that lurk within the halls of their school, St. Vladimir’s Academy.
The most wonderful thing about this film has to be the performances from the cast. When the casting was announced last year, there was a huge uproar in the “Vampire Academy” fandom with many fans turning their backs on the film (some still don’t accept the casting). This is rather unfortunate, because the cast captures the characters so well and as the author, Richelle Mead, has stated on numerous occasions, the actors GET their characters.
Zoey Deutch owns Rose Hathaway and no one can be Rose anymore in my head. When she’s onscreen, you forget all about Zoey from her interviews because she’s gone and in her place, stands Rose – fun loving, fast talking, flawed Rose Hathaway.
Lucy Fry as Lissa really surprised me. I was still unsure about her from the clips but she brought Lissa to life as a soul that is at first kind and gentle and later all buzzed up and peppy.
Danila Kozlovsky … what can I say about this Russian man except that he lit up the screen as Dimitri Belikov with his scenes, whether it was the badass training sequences or the badass fighting sequences or the scenes with his smile that basically could melt all of Frozen’s Arrendale. I could basically listen to a tape with him saying the words “Roza, Roza” continuously.
Now Dominic Sherwood basically IS Christian Ozera. There is no denying it and there is no fighting it. He IS Christian Ozera with all his creepy talk at first and then that sadness in his eyes when he talks about his Strigoi parents and then his longing for Lissa and then BAM the next thing you know is that you are all head over heels in love with Christian who would do anything to protect Lissa.
The supporting characters did a great job with their scenes. Sarah Hyland was absolutely brilliant as the rambling Natalie and Cameron Monaghan, in his limited scenes, brought to life the love struck Mason who you can’t help but feel for as Rose ignores his feelings towards her. Sami Gayle as Mia was just short of delivering the mean girl, perhaps because of her limited scenes and the fact that they revealed her story to the audience a little earlier than in the book. Claire Foy played “Crazy Karp” just like I’d imagined and though Olga Kurylenko‘s Kirova was a little spiced up, it didn’t affect the story.
Book to movie adaptations all suffer changes and purist fans of books often renounce the film version. It is true that most book adaptations now days do not do the story any justice, especially as seen in the recent The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones film where some changes took away from the spirit of the book, even if necessary.
In the case of Vampire Academy, fans that are staying away are completely missing out on how true this film is to the book. Yes there are changes; some of these changes are required to explain things to the audience while some other changes make things grander (seriously guys, explosions and fights make things better on screen). Then there are a few changes like the following that simply roll three different scenes from the book into one, case in point – the classroom fire scene.
This scene combined three classroom scenes from the book, firstly, when Mia and Ralf accuse Lissa of killing the fox and Christian sets Ralf on fire, secondly, where Rose and Lissa are passing notes to each other and are caught by the teacher, Mr. Nagy who reads it out aloud, and finally, another when the rumours start spreading about Rose in class and the someone shouts out “Rose, I bleed for you,” which is also included in the film! While we would have liked more classroom scenes than we got, it is understandable that the included all three scenes in one because of time constraints.
There are also some minor changes, such as the use of British accents amongst the royal Moroi and of course the fact that Sami Gayle’s Mia is devoid of her curls, but these are little things and don’t change character personalities or the story. It can be hard for purists, but if you can let go of these small details and appreciate the true personalities of the character and the spirit of the story that is capture in the film, you will really enjoy the experience.
However, there are some scenes amiss that I would have really liked to see and these would have helped develop some characters more as well as explained things without the use of too much exposition in dialogue and voice-over (and while I can listen to Rose talk all the time, others aren’t too impressed by such things). A classroom scene with Guardian Stan could have helped explain the three classes of vampires (with the animation included from the music video) and the need for the Dhampirs to protect the Moroi. Some more scenes with Mason (which could have showcased his humour and interactions with Rose) and with Dimitri (to develop his relationship with Rose further, such as actually reprimanding her for being with Jesse) could have helped the script as well.
So, are those harsh reviews valid?
No. Fans of the book series know that the first book, on which the film is based, is not as good as the rest of the series and is full of high school drama and cheesy lines that are now quoted with cult like fervour (but which were missing in the film). They all know that the best parts with all the serious stuff and the darkness start from the second book onwards. Even if you haven’t read the books and watch this film, there is a huge possibility that you will enjoy it, especially if you don’t go in expecting too much out of it. It’s a fun film that doesn’t take itself too seriously and if you can give in for those 104 minutes, you are guaranteed to be entertained.
The film isn’t without its flaws and does fall short in its pacing, scene transitioning and editing. It has been speculated that the Studio (The Weinstein Company) cut out scenes to shorten the length of the film and one wonders that those scenes could have helped the film flow smoothly and in turn the film would have avoided such harsh critical scrutiny. For instance, the film had some great action scenes but there was not enough build up of tension leading to those scenes. Further, the arrival of the Queen was done very randomly and some scenes jumped in and out, almost out of sequence and such things can make non-book readers very confused.
Daniel Waters has adapted the book cleverly with his dark humour and Mark Waters brought out some great performances from the young cast of the film. However, the books (and any future films based on them) get progressively darker and while Mark Waters’ adaptation of the first one just about works with his mainstream vision, it might not be the case when it comes to the more serious films and perhaps a change in the creative team can help give the future films a bit more seriousness that comes with the future books. For this film, however, the team works, and while some scenes could have been added to help make the film flow smoothly, it is in no way a poor film.
From most of the reviews, it seems that critics didn’t even TRY to understand what was happening and most certainly walked in “knowing” they will dislike it – although from some reviews it’s hard to make out whether they wrote the piece after watching the trailer or the movie because they have no idea what the film is about. Further, it doesn’t do any good that they try and compare it to previous works just because it is a fantasy film catering to younger women.
Why the film failed to get the numbers?
As is widely known, the film didn’t generate enough in ticket sales this past weekend in North America. If anything – or anyone – is to be blamed, it is the marketing of this film. For months, the trailers have passed it off as a Mean Girls-esque comedy and they couldn’t have been more misleading. The film is not Mean Girls 2.0 and while it retains its sarcastic humour from the book, it isn’t slapstick funny either.
Further, the neon green poster with the pink tagline that said “They Suck At School” was the worst idea ever. The film and the story is SO MUCH MORE than that stupid tagline which not only keep non-readers away but also alienated a huge percentage of the fanbase, most of whom will still not give it a chance. If only they could have marketed it with this absolutely EPIC music video featuring CHVRCHES’ cover of Bela Lugosi’s Dead – again, something that most people have unnecessarily criticised. Covers are not meant to be copies of the original work and the CHVRCHES’ version retains the haunting spirit of the song while making it accessible to an entirely new generation.
Why you still need to see it
Vampires may not be your thing and their recent invasion may have made you weary, but if you want a night out to watch a fun film, then Vampire Academy is right up your alley. Many film-goers, both from within the target demographic and outside it have enjoyed the film, such as this person below –
If you are a fan of Young Adult books and films, then supporting them by watching the movies is very important because there are some excellent book series (Shatter Me? The Fifth Wave? Hush Hush? anyone?) out there that depend on the success of films like The Mortal Instruments and Vampire Academy to be made into films themselves. So do give it a chance. If the reviews and fan reactions make you weary, check out the review from Page to Premiere who specialise in book-to-film adaptations and despite the film’s flaws, enjoyed it.
You may think that we may be biased (being a fansite and all that) but the fact is that the film is very enjoyable. Yes, it is not perfect and there are some flaws, but there are also some great performances and some fascinating sequences. Further, there is just something surreal and eerie about seeing these characters from our imaginations, brought to life with such precision.
A book and its film adaptation called “Vampire Academy” isn’t trying to be life-changing or a critical darling – you can’t go in expecting Shakespearian prose. What it is, is pure entertainment with some great messages of friendship, love and loyalty. So all you need to do is give this film a chance because the story gets so much better from the second one onwards and with all that character development yet to come, you don’t want to miss out on some excellent performances by this cast in future films. Oh and of course, Adrian Ivashkov only enters the scene in the second book (incentive for the book readers).
If you’ve seen the film, check out some BTS videos and interviews with the cast below (spoilers).
For more coverage on the film, click here!
Vampire Academy has now premiered and been shown to an audience and they have loved it, but promos and publicity still continue as we gear up for the Friday release.
1. First up, three videos from ScreenSlam as they interview Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry and Sarah Hyland.
2. Next up, check out this interview of Danila Kozlovsky by The Hollywood Reporter. Aside from the fact that Danila is 28 and not 32 as reported in the article, the interview is one of Danila’s firsts in Hollywood media where he shares his thoughts on his character Dimitri, on Russian cinema and working in the west. Some excerpts are given below –
THR: How would you describe your first English-language role?
Danila: I would like to take a moment to thank Richelle Mead for writing such a great, interesting character as Dimitri. It is very important for me to represent my country in this movie, as a man who loves, who has a good sense of humor, is passionate, and is a very interesting person — a really good guy. Dimitri has been living in America for a long time and speaks with a slight Russian accent. He is a very reliable and, at the same time, a quite mysterious person. He listens to old music and reads cowboy books. He is a man who people say who has old-fashioned values. I really enjoyed playing him. This is not the typical Russian stereotype role where guys are doing stupid or bad things.
THR: Where you would like to be in five or ten years?
Danila: I hope to be continuing to work in my current profession. I am a very lucky person because I have a job that I love doing everyday.
3. Olga Kurylenko appeared on Conan O’Brien and talked a little about the changes made to the character of Headmistress Kirova, who she added, hates kids and would like to torture them. A clip from the film was shown featuring the scene when Dimitri brings back Lissa and Rose to the Academy and puts them in front of Kirova. OMGAD … Danila speaking …. it’s HOT!
4. Sarah Hyland‘s interview with OK! Magazine has been published and she talks about how she spent £ 3000 in room service in London while filming the movie. Read some of the excerpts below and check out the interview.
OK!: How did you adjust to the nighttime shooting schedule?
SH: I’m a night owl so it wasn’t the worst thing in the world. The worst thing in the world was that by the time we got off work everything restaurant was closed and the only thing I had, because I didn’t have a kitchen or anything like that in my hotel room, was room service. By the time I left London I had a ₤3,000 bill for room service. And the sun came up at 4 AM. I can’t wrap my brain around it. That’s what messed me up. Not the filming at night, the sun coming up so early. And it sets at like 10 PM.
OK!: Were you able to explore London at all?
SH: I did the touristy things. I saw the London Eye and we lived near Buckingham Palace and Big Ben so that I was able to see really easily. A food place I really loved was Byron Burger. I miss it. I want it to come to the States.
OK!: Having the experience of training physically for this role, do you feel almost addicted to it now? Do you want to do it again?
SH: I really want to do it again but nothing that I’m up for right now is like that. I want to get in shape again and have a reason instead of being at home and working out because clearly I’m going to watch TV and eat pizza than go work out.
5. Lucy Fry had this really cute interview with The Insider where she talked about enjoying biting people and using compulsion as a vampire trick. Watch the video below.
6. In an interview with Movies.com, Zoey Deutch and Lucy Fry revealed everything that you need to know about Vampire Academy before you watch the film. It’s a quite a lengthy interview, filled with great, fun stuff, make sure you read it on the website. Some excerpts are given below.
Nailing the tone was vital for Vampire Academy. “The most important part of this movie is that the tone stayed consistent because that’s what I was most worried about. When you read the script, the humor and the dialogue is so broad and so wordy that if it were to step back in certain scenes, if it were to get a little nervous, like if [director] Mark [Waters] had trepidations about some of the interactions because it felt too ridiculous, the movie would not have worked. You would feel like you’re seeing six different movies. It needed to be specifically that way, so all those crazy lines that you’re like, ‘Where did [writer] Dan [Waters] come up with that?’ That’s in that world and for me as a teenager, a lot of those things I totally would say. I took out some things here and there, but for the most part, we stayed pretty true to Dan’s words.” – Zoey Deutch
Oscar the cat gets a meatier role in the movie and Fry was thrilled about the additional cuddle time. “It was the sweetest, sweetest thing, Sydney. It was just the cuddliest cat. There were two cats actually that were playing Oscar. One of them was the one that was really well trained and knew how to stay and walk and everything, and then there was the one that just loved being cuddled and most of the scenes we were doing cuddling scenes so I got to just snuggle this cat the whole time and it was so good for me because I’d been missing my dog a lot and it’s like animal therapy. It just feels so much better. Every day that Oscar was needed I was just so happy.” – Lucy Fry [omg you guys, Sydney is in VAMovie =P]
Is Lucy ready for Frostbite’s unprecedented threesome? “Well, I like that it’s from Rose’s perspective and that she gets out of there before anything too intense happens. I guess I haven’t ever done that before so it would take a lot of courage, but, you know, if we get to do a second film, then I would just be so excited for the film and you do what you’ve gotta do.” – Lucy Fry
Can Zoey ski? “[Laughs] No! Oh, I have an awful skiing story that I’m not gonna tell now, but no, I can’t ski! I’m the worst skier pretty much.” – Zoey Deutch
7. A hilarious video on Entertainment Tonight finds the VA cast members quizzing each other on which vampire they would like to be bitten by to mean girl high school stories. Dominic revealed he would prefer Bella over Elena because she would be more gentle, while Lucy and Sarah went for Ian Somerhalder’s Damon over Edward Cullen. Zoey was given a choice between Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp and chose both. Watch the video below –
8. Check out all these fashion articles about all the pretty dresses worn at the Premiere – Sugarscape and The Fashion Court. Zoey wore Monique Lhullier, Sarah wore Zac Posen, Olga was dressed in Dior and Sami wore a Miu Miu dress.
9. All the video interviews from the premiere are now starting to appear. Check out the videos on YouTube at Silver Screen PR, KatTales TV and CelebrityChaos. You can also check out a collection of photos and videos on Fans of Vampire Academy.
Here’s a video of Danila on the red carpet –
10. More videos from ScreenSlam at the premiere have been added to the playlist below. Interviews by Zoey, Lucy, Danila, Dominic, Sarah, Cameron, Sami, Ashley, Olga, Joely and screenwriter Dan Waters as well as BTS look at the red carpet.
Only a couple more days left folks, hang in and we’ll be there soon!
The Cast of #VAMovie (via @RegalLALive)
The worldwide premiere for Vampire Academy took place earlier today (February 4) and unfortunately there was no live telecast. But the Internet is not without it’s perks folks … and with all the live tweeting and photos popping up, we were all but caught up. Here is our coverage with tweets and photos.
The day started off with the cast tweeting about the premiere
Harry Bradshaw (@HarryBradshaw) February 04, 2014
Today's the day!!! Who's coming to the @VAOfficialMovie premiere tonight?!? So excited!!!!—
Sarah Hyland (@Sarah_Hyland) February 04, 2014
Cameron Monaghan (@CameronMonaghan) February 04, 2014
Show us what you can do! I hope to see lots if you tonight and on the 7th!!! Xxx—
Dominic Sherwood (@DomSherwood1) February 04, 2014
Dominique Tipper (@Mi55Tipper) February 04, 2014
On way to #VAPremiere !!!!! Finally, it's time!!!!!!—
Sami Gayle (@GayleTweets8) February 05, 2014
Almost premiere time!!!! 😼 http://t.co/HxOQMyGBZ7—
Zoey Deutch (@ZoeyDeutch) February 05, 2014
So excited for the premiere tonight!!—
Lucy Fry (@LucyFry) February 05, 2014
Check out this video of the cast and guests arriving at the premiere.
The red carpet (via @RegalLALive and @WeinsteinFilms)
Arrivals of the cast and crew (via Zimbio)
Check out some group pictures from the night (via Zimbio)
Many lucky fans also had the opportunity to meet the cast and one of them took this really awesome video of Zoey and Danila meeting at the premiere.
Later on, the cast and crew went to the After Party. Check out some photos below (via Zimbio)
Tonight was the first time that many had the opportunity to see the film for the first time and reactions poured in from all over (mostly positive though I’ve caught a few negative ones [three], but hey, can’t deny the existence of the Strigoi, can we). Some tweets are shown below –
@VAOfficialMovie was amazing! Worth seeing for sure—
Jackson Pace (@jacksonpace) February 05, 2014
I went into the Vampire Academy movie with no expectations and I totally loved it.—
Kate Spencer (@katespencer) February 05, 2014
It's not perfect but it totally won me over. Focus is on female friendship with ass-kicking girls & funny moments. Bonus: hot dudes.—
Kate Spencer (@katespencer) February 05, 2014
So Vampire Academy was great! You did so good @CameronMonaghan!! So happy for you.—
Emma Kenney (@EmmaRoseKenney) February 05, 2014
Chelsea Myers (@thechelseamyers) February 05, 2014
Josh Page (@TenorJoshPage) February 05, 2014
I'VE SEEN @VAOfficialMovie! My thoughts: hilarious, action packed, Danila is a god, Zoey was amazing! I want more! Go see it on Feb. 7th!—
Natasha Polis (@Tashapolis) February 05, 2014
jenn/yabooktwins (@jenreadsfiction) February 05, 2014
Vampire Academy was pretty awesome! 👏😏—
Vanessa (@Nessiee__) February 05, 2014
april (@lirpACano) February 05, 2014
Yoooo #VampireAcademy is such a good movie 👌 defiantly recommend watching it + cute guys 😏—
(@PincheMitchy) February 05, 2014
Cast and crew of Vampire @VAOfficialMovie did excellent work because the movie was really good! Great for both fans of book & not fans—
alex (@MortalDhampir) February 05, 2014
Katherine McNamara (@Kat_McNamara) February 05, 2014
Charlotte Gleason (@charworks) February 05, 2014
Greer Grammer (@Greer_Grammer) February 05, 2014
So there we have it folks, the premiere is done and the film releases this Friday in the US/Canada and slowly takes over the world in the next few weeks and months. The movie certainly sounds enjoyable and as a fan who desperately wants the sequels … all I can ask is that you guys watch it on opening weekend – this weekend, preferably Friday night!
And the promotions continue. The cast did a lot of interviews yesterday and we even got a first look at the sketches of the film’s costume designer, Ruth Myers. Check out all the interviews, videos and articles below.
1. While still in New York yesterday (Thursday, January 30) Sarah Hyland started off with an appearance on Canadian show BT Vancouver to promote the film and spoke about how this film showcases themes of female empowerment and is not about damsels in distress. Watch the interview below –
2. Sarah also appeared on The Morning Show where she spoke about the film, particularly training for the character and how her Vampire Academy character is so different from the Modern Family one. Check out the interview below –
3. Sarah also visited the offices of fashion and lifestyle magazines, Marie Claire and Vanity Fair for promoting the film.
4. Over in Texas, Zoey, Lucy and Dominic appeared on Great Day Houston, where the host, Deborah, fielded questions and the cast replied with fun answers. Watch the interview below –
On the obsession with vampires:
Lucy: I think there has been an obsession with vampires for centuries and its just changing with what the society is going through that time so we’ve gone from ”I want to suck your blood” to pop, teenage vampires who just go to school and want a normal life.”
On the film:
Dominic: It’s the dichotomy of normal teenagers going to a normal high school and the surreal element of the battle for good and evil and the supernatural.
Zoey: Acting is my passion, it is what i want to do forever, and also I have no other skills.
Dominic: [speaking about the spark that ignited a passion for acting] I used to watch a lot of Disney films and I used to watch Prince Charming and him getting the girl and I was like that’s what I want to be when I grow up.
On the film:
Dominic: I just saw it yesterday, they sent it to my hotel room but I’m one of the worst people, because I watch myself and go [groans] “I look like that”, “I sound funny”, “I was doing that with my face”, “I just look terrible”. So I just watched the entire movie and came out with a poor sense of self esteem. [Co-stars] are great, it’s amazing to see Sarah and Cameron and all the others, because I only had scenes with [Lucy and Zoey] and not with anyone else, so to see all the other guys and all the bits that I had actually read in the script and actually have them put them up on its feet is actually really cool and good to see.
Zoey: I have seen it and it is such a fun film, it’s not what people expect it to be and it’s really a good date movie. There is something for the guys, there’s action, it’s sexy, it’s funny … I really think it has something for everybody … and it’s a fun film.
Lucy: Yeah it’s a movie you go to see to have fun and the comedy in it plays really well juxtaposed with the kind of darkness of the academy and I think that’s kind of one of the really interesting things about it, it’s such a dark setting and it’s got this mystery of vampires in this historical school then it’s so light and it’s got this energy bouncing off of each other and it’s got this momentum and I think it’s the kind of film you go and see and it’s got the perfect mixture of all the elements of action and comedy and drama.
Check out some of these screen caps below –
5. Zoey then headed over for an interview on the airwaves with radio channel 99.7 [NOW!]. Listen to her interview below –
When asked if she was a badass, Zoey said “I’m definitely not. There was a lot of training, actually three and a half months of gym, kickboxing, martial arts training and stunt choreography but afterwards i definitely felt prepared that I had something to work.” On Rose, Zoey described her as strong and added, “Emotionally I find strength in her vulnerability, in her loyalty to her best friend, in her ability to make mistakes, acknowledge them and move forward.” She also added, “Lucy and I, strangely enough, have a very similar relationship in real life to the relationship in the film.” Make sure you hear the full interview above.
6. Ruth Myers, the costume designer for Vampire Academy, revealed her sketches for Rose’s training outfit, the dance dress as well as Dimitri’s duster. She also shared her costume making process from sketch to reality. Check out the article on E! Online and the photos below –
7. Tearaway NZ published an interview with author Richelle Mead where she talked about creating the world of Vampire Academy, writing from the point of view of Sydney in Bloodlines as well as her thoughts on the movie. Check out a few of her answers below, and make sure to read the full interview at the link given above.
Why vampires? What made you decide to write about vampires specifically?
Richelle: Before I wrote Vampire Academy, I’d already started two adult series, one about demons and one about fairies. I needed a new paranormal creature to work with for my teen series, and vampires fit the bill, especially after I’d studied Eastern European folklore at college. I’d learned some great Romanian vampire myths that I liked, so I decided to try working them into a series. At the time this was happening, vampires hadn’t hit their current phase of popularity, so I had no idea what I was getting into. It was very lucky timing.
What do you think of the movie being made of Vampire Academy? Any complaints or disappointments? Are you excited and have you been involved much in it?
Richelle: The movie’s been a lot of fun, and overall, I’m really pleased with it. My role has mostly been advisory, which is pretty normal for authors. I’m a book expert, and the movie people are movie experts, so I’m happy letting them do their jobs. It’s great that they do consult with me, though, and I’ve been asked questions about costumes or if certain changes will affect future books. Some authors never get asked that, so I’m super grateful they bring my opinion in. Books and movies are very different mediums, so changes are inevitable, but we’re pretty lucky in that most changes that have been made are small and are for the sake of time or to make something more interesting on the screen. All the main plot points are still there. And I can’t say enough about how wonderful the cast is. They look like their characters, but more importantly, they really understand their characters. In fact, some of them have the same personalities in real life! It’s been amazing watching them bring these roles to life and see how much they really love being part of the movie.
8. Lucy Fry did an interview on The Better Show, where she talked about getting the part in Vampire Academy, Mark Waters attention to detail, hiding from the sun to shoot as a pale Moroi as well as her experience on her upcoming film Now Add Honey with Portia de Rossi where she, an Australian, plays an American girl trying to adjust to life in Australia. Watch the interview below –
9. A new TV Spot was seen and includes a couple of new scenes and extended dialogue, especially Rose’s “To get to her, you’ll have to go through me.” Watch it below and see if you can spot something new!
10. Another really fun article with Zoey and Lucy at Buzzfeed headquarters has us laughing in splits! We learnt some great things about these two, some of which are listed below –
How did you celebrate getting your roles?
LF: I went to Pinkberry with my friends.
ZD: I’m very boring. I went out to dinner with my family.
If you had to give a superlative to Danila Kozlovsky what would it be?
LF: Best man (laughs).
11. Information about the world premiere of the film on February 4 has appeared thanks to Gossipgyal on Twitter, and according to her there will be no live stream of the premiere. The following are the details for the premiere –
‘Vampire Academy’ LA Premiere info:
WHO is attending:
VAMPIRE ACADEMY cast including Sarah Hyland, Zoey Deutch, Olga Kurylenko, Lucy Fry, Sami Gayle, Dominic Sherwood, Cameron Monaghan, Joely Richardson, Danila Kozlovsky, Ashley Charles, director Mark Waters, writer Daniel Waters (and more to be announced)!
WHEN: Tuesday, February 4th
PRESS CHECK-IN: 5:30 PM
ARRIVALS: 6:30 PM
SCREENING: 7:30 PM
WHERE: Regal Cinemas L.A. Live Stadium 14, 1000 W Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90015
Stay tuned, there are more interviews with Sami, Sarah, Zoey, Lucy and Dom coming up as well as the San Francisco Mall Party at Westfield Center. Don’t forget to check our Vampire Academy page for links to all the news and events taking place in the lead up to the film’s release.
The Vampire Academy fandom has been having a crazy, busy week, and we are still seven days away from the release of the film. If you’ve been following all our coverage, then you’ve surely seen the crazy busy first part to this and the fact that seven clips from the film landed yesterday! More publicity and promotional stuff follow below! Also check out our Vampire Academy page and bookmark – we’ll be posting all the updates there.
1. On Tuesday, Zoey Deutch was at the TEEN headquarters. Check out this awesome cute video of hers with quotes from the film.
“Looks like Aaron’s tried to replace you with a keychain version.” – Rose
“So tough and one of a kind, yet still a girl.” – Victor
“This is insane … insanely hot. What are we doing?” – Dimitri
2. On Wednesday, Sarah Hyland hopped onto a plane to New York and appeared on the Good Morning America show where she talked about the film and I must add, she met John Stamos, Uncle Jesse from Full House.
3. After GMA, Sarah hopped over to “Live with Kelly and Michael” where she spoke about her experience at the Grammy Awards, winning the SAG for Modern Family and Vampire Academy. They showed the clip of her character, Natalie, licking the wall and Sarah said it was a mixture of corn starch and syrup, but most importantly, it was edible and non-toxic. Check out the segment below –
4. Sarah has been doing a whole lot of press for the film, check out her red carpet interviews from last Sunday’s Grammy awards.
5. This really cute interview with Zoey and Lucy at the Buzzfeed office (on Monday) was published yesterday where both were quizzed about the other and the result was ADORBS. Check it out here!
Some of our favourites –
Q. What is Zoey’s favourite colour?
Lucy’s guess: Lime green but that’s a lie, she doesn’t have one.
Zoey’s answer: Not pale green! Don’t know.
LF: You lied!
ZD: No, I said it’s not pale green, don’t know.
Q. What is Lucy’s pet peeve?
Zoey’s guess: Tickling chin.
Lucy’s answer: Touching my face.
ZD: OH I GOT IT I GOT IT!
Q. What is Lucy’s Spirit animal?
Zoey’s guess: Dolphin.
Lucy’s answer: Dolphin.
ZD: Oh my god!
LF: That’s pretty good.
5. The VA Movie Mall Party event took place in Houston yesterday and in attendance were Zoey, Lucy and Dominic. Fans got makeovers done and took home swag bags with makeup and goodies in addition to meeting the stars! Check out more photos on Fans of Vampire Academy and Just Jared Jr.
6. Before the Mall Party, Red Carpet Ending did an interview with Zoey, Lucy and Dominic. They spoke about their reactions on getting the part, how they got into the skin of their characters and all of them agreed that Danila was the funniest guy on set! Watch the interview below –
7. Later on, the three went to a signing at Barnes and Noble bookstore. You can read a fan’s experience right here on Tumblr. and check out the photos on Fans of Vampire Academy! Check out a fan video below –
8. Sami Gayle‘s interview with We Got This Covered popped up which you can check out here! She said she liked the whole spur off the moment thing with the release date being pushed up and it was exciting to start promotions on the film. She also mentioned that she is off to Los Angeles to start with the film publicity. She also spoke about her Skype auditions and her love for Mean Girls. Be sure to watch the video.
9. If you are looking to refresh your memory or just want to know what Vampire Academy is about, check out this article from Yahoo! Lifestyle New Zealand.
10. Cast promo portraits have also popped up with Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry and Sami Gayle. The girls look so pretty. You can check out all the photographs on Fans of Vampire Academy.
11. Finally, the Vampire Academy Soundtrack was made available for pre-order on the US iTunes stores and includes an additional song – Goldfrapp’s Felt Mountain. So be sure to get your digital copy as well!
There is more great stuff coming up guys, mall parties in San Francisco, LA and New Jersey and of course … the world premiere at Regal Cinemas in Los Angeles on February 4! So be sure to check back with us for our extensive coverage!
The promotions and publicity for Vampire Academy are gearing up ahead of its February 7th release and now there are 7 … yes 7 NEW clips from the film that will leave you FANGIRLING beyond control. We’ll just do it now – ASDFGHJKL!!!
1. CLASS DISTURBANCE
First up is this clip, first revealed exclusive by Yahoo Movies that shows the scene from the book where Christian lights Ralf (Ray in the film) on fire! YOU GUYS, this scene is so PERF, it is so well adapted … that we can’t contain our joy!! OHMYGOD … bad boy Dom Sherwood rocks as Christian. [The Yahoo article (click above) also has the link from Zoey Deutch’s takeover of Yahoo’s Instagram]. Check out the clip below –
We even have a screenshot of the tweets exchanged on the day these scenes were presumably filmed, after Chris Mason’s (Ralf/Ray) tweet that suggested fire scenes. Harry Bradshaw plays Bruno, Mia’s friend (seen sitting next to Mia in the clip) and Raj Purewal plays a dhampir student (seen sitting behind Christian in the clip).
2. LISSA SHOWS OFF
Book fans will surely recognize this scene from the part of the book where Lissa starts getting in with the popular crowd once again as well as bagging her ex, Aaron, away from mean girl Mia. Also shown in the clip – Rose’s dislike for Lissa’s new behaviour!
In a scene that is not completely from the book, Natalie confesses her crush on Ray (Ralf in the book) – and you guys – this is so UNCANNY – because a certain Vampire Academy Roleplay on Facebook (involving two close friends of mine) started out a “relationship” between Natalie and Ray – and this was before there was any evidence of such a thing in the film – you guys, great minds think alike 😉
Also, while in the book it was Mason who tipped off Rose about the conditions of Mia’s family, here it is actually Natalie and Rose who do the detective work! Check it out –
4.NOSE JOB IN MONTANA
This scene picks off right after the second clip with Natalie being her nerdy best and Rose with her quick one liners as seen before in the trailer.
5. THE DANCE
Previously released by MTV, this clip had been cut to fit into a time slot and seemed rushed and OTT. Not anymore, although we’re still a little unsure about the dialogue used here … no one can argue that Zoey Deutch’s Rose OWNS the clip!
6. BLOOD MESSAGE
This clip starts off with a conversation between Rose and Natalie discussing how the Queen was a mean one to Lissa … just like she was in the book – so fret not from that first teaser trailer. Rose and Natalie find a blood message which Natalie actually tastes to determine what kind of blood it is, while Lissa tries to shake it off, calling it a prank because the pranksters clearly didn’t know how to spell.
In this clip, we have Rose getting into Lissa’s head through the bond and discovers Lissa confronting Christian, who then calls her out on her hair flipping – guys, things are going to get HEATED here!
So there you have it – these seven new clips should leave you excited and wanting more – and you shall get more come February 7, 2013 when the film opens in US and Canada. Don’t forget to check out our round up of Vampire Academy press and goodies and check back daily for new developments!
With the release of Vampire Academy nearby, the publicity and promos are gearing up and it’s impossible to keep track! Especially when you count all the TV spots and trailers they keep releasing every two days! When the tagline said ”Prepare to be Tested” back in July, 2013 … this is surely what they meant! We bring you a roundup of all that has happened so far. Check our Vampire Academy page to make sure you are up to date with everything going on.
1. First up – Check out this poster, definitely an improvement with the colour and tagline and our Morois and Dhampirs look fierce and ready to battle, in an exclusive reveal via Buzzfeed.
2. Check out the songs from the Vampire Academy soundtrack, we’ve updated with the CHVRCHES cover of Bela Lugosi’s Dead and all other songs (except one yet to be released) right here and the CHVRCHES cover right below –
3. Danila Kolzovsky (Dimitri Belikov) attended a press conference in Russia to talk about the film. Read the English Translation of the interview which is SUPER ADORBS on Kozlovsky Brazil and if you want to watch him, and lets be honest, who wouldn’t even if they don’t understand Russian, watch it below!
Check out some of our favourite highlights from the press conference –
Danila on Skyping with Mark Waters (on auditioning for VA):
“I showed him two scenes from Richelle’s 1st book. The first scene is how real a Dhampir must kill a Strigoi. I showed him some gestures and read the text. The second scene was about how Dimitri first understood he was falling for Roza. I must show how I see her (Roza), what i’m thinking, how i’m looking at her, what i’m thinking about her.”
Danila on his Vampire Academy Movie partners:
“All the guys are so young (i repeat: so young!) But all of them are incredibly talented. They (Dominic & Lucy) are big professionals but they’re funny too. They made my hard work easier because both have a great sense of humor. There were a lot of joke and laugh during the shooting. They (Dominic & Lucy) helped me with my adaptation very much! She (Zoey Deutch) works so much and so hard! She had only one day off on this shooting, but i never heard complaints from her.”
Danila on Richelle Mead:
“I must say my personal thanks to this amazing writer and woman. She created a very interesting character: Dimitri. She allowed him to fall in love, to love and to protect those he loves! He’s a gentleman and i really appreciate it! Thank you, Richelle!”
Journalist: Can you compare Vampire Academy with Twilight or Harry Potter, for example?
“I never watched Twilight. But i watched Harry Potter! I’m a real fan of this story. Once i watched all the Harry Potter movies in a whole day. (Everyone has a bad day when we want to relax, don’t we?) – Danila laughs – I can’t compare these movies. Every single one of them has their own mythology. Maybe i can only say that the main action of these stories is at schools (or Academy). But i don’t see other points.”
4. Sami Gayle (Mia Rinaldi) appeared on PIX11 to speak about Vampire Academy. She spoke about how Vampire Academy was different from other vampire movies because it was set in a school and is about the tribulations of teenagers at school and how difficult it is to grow up in the stage between adolescents and adults, something both demographics will be able to relate to. Check out the interview below –
You can also check out the screencaps and transcription on Fans of Vampire Academy.
5. Sarah Hyland (Natalie Dashkov) appeared on the radio with Ryan Seacrest to talk about Vampire Academy. Sarah said that she was excited for her fans to see the film because it is so different than anything else she’s ever done in the past. She described her character as being nerdy, wearing fake pimples, glasses and frizzy hair. Listen to the session below –
6. Zoey Deutch (Rose Hathaway) and Lucy Fry (Lissa Dragomir) took over a Reddit AMA session, answering questions from fans. Check it out on Fans of Vampire Academy. Our favourites are shown below –
7. Zoey and Lucy then appeared live on Huffington Post to chat about Vampire Academy. They looked super cute –
Zoey spoke about how funny Vampire Academy is and Lucy added that it takes a cheekiness to vampires along with the power and darkness that comes with being a vampire. Watch the interview below –
Check out more screencaps and some quotes on Fans of Vampire Academy.
8. Richelle Mead has seen the movie and she loved it! Last night she took over @VAOfficialMovie‘s Twitter handle to chat with fans who had questions for her. Check out the excerpts below and read her full interview here on Fans of Vampire Academy or Her Royal Guardian. Some of our favourites are below –
Hey there! This is Richelle Mead, taking over this account for the next hour to answer your questions about the VA movie!—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@EverlarkFaye Yes, esp b/c all my fave scenes were in there. If one of your faves was cut, you might be sad, but overall, they kept most!—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@OOhAlley Yes! I intended the book to be a mix of seriousness, romance, & humor, & the movie nails it (no matter what some ads might seem!)—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@NorLovesGlitter Last Stand is my favorite by far. If you haven't seen it, go search and check it out! Very dark and lots of action.—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@SuperSilverJay Serious w/a sense of humor, just like the books! The ads show a lot of humor to pull in new people, but fans will approve.—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@nicky_greece93 There are some dream sequences and background stories that don't change the book & will make sense when you see it. 🙂—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@olicitys Nope. I'd say 90% is from book 1, then the rest are small book-to-movie changes or extra background info to explain things.—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
9. A few days earlier, Dominic Sherwood (Christian Ozera) did an interview for Hypable which is so insightful. Be sure to read it. Our favourite Q&As …
Q: How did you create the character of Christian?
A: “I went to six auditions for the part of Christian. This is really embarrassing, I worked at Hollister just up the road from where the auditions were being held and I would do an audition one day and my agent would ring me up and say, “that was great but they want you to make him funnier.” I would go in and do that and then I would get a phone call saying, “yeah, that was great but they want you to go in and make him darker, and make him poutier.” I was like, “oh my god, you don’t know what you want!” But when I got offered the role I realized that Christian was all those things.”
Q: What was it like to use fire as Christian’s element?
A: “I was so excited to get to play with fire. It was unreal. We toyed around with the idea early on with this special gel where they could set my hands on fire. I could have done all this crazy stuff with it but we ended up not using it. We had live fire on the set for the whole ending sequence but again, I’m not allowed to mention, but it was cool. We had fire very close to my body at one point and the stunt and safety team had gotten to know me by then and they knew I was pretty clumsy and dumb at times. They were like, “don’t put your hands in the fire whatever you do.” I was like, “Cool. I will try to do that guys, not put my hands in open flame.””
Q: Do you have a message for the fans?
A: “It would be: thank you. For all of the support you have given us and being so nice to us. The MTV Movie Brawl is going on right now and they are so 100% behind us. Thank you, is all I can say. I wish I had more eloquent words, more poetic words, to give you but thanks is all I’ve got.”
There you go, calling all VA fans, book fans, YA fans, vote for Vampire Academy in the MTV Movie Brawl and make it the number one movie, click here.
10. Also don’t miss all the upcoming promos and contests such as winning tickets to the LA premiere and other events like the meet and greet in different US cities and promos coming up, check out the list below, courtesy Fans of Vampire Academy and Vampire Academy’s Official Movie Facebook Event page –
January 28: Zoey Deutch is taking over Yahoo Insta
January 29: Kelly and Michael with Sarah Hyland
January 29: Red carpet endings meeting the cast
January 29: VA Movie Mall Party, 2 PM local time, Houston Galleria, Houston, TX
January 29: Book signing at Barnes & Noble in The Woodlands (Zoey, Lucy and Dom)
January 31: Sami on the Talk (CBS)
January 31: VA Movie Mall Party, 2 PM local time, Westfield San Francisco Centre, San Francisco, CA
February 1: Press conference LA
February 3: VA Movie Mall Party, 2 PM local time, The Grove, Los Angeles, CA
February 4: LA Premiere, Regal theatre, Los Angeles, CA
February 6: VA Movie Mall Party, 2 PM local time, Westfield Garden State Plaza Mall, Parasmus, NJ
February 6: Zoey Deutch in Under the Gunn
So sign up and attend the events if you live in those cities!
11. Stay tuned … lots more coming from the world of Vampire Academy … speaking of which, check out the cool new website “World of Vampire Academy” … there are lots of goodies, information on the different levels of guardian training, and this SUPER ADORBS video made by St. Vlad’s students holding a decathlon –
Earlier this week, rumors began circulating from various sources that the release date for the UK had been moved back a few months. After the change was confirmed by eOne, the UK distributors, that the release would no longer be Feb 19th, but in fact in April… outrage followed.
And whilst UK fans are campaigning to get their release date back, a new release date change has been announced.
Vampire Academy will release a week earlier in the US, on Feb 7th.
Despite heavy marketing for the Valentine’s Day release, the decision has made US fans very happy, who now only have 3 weeks to wait. Check out these reactions from the #VAfamily on Twitter.
But while some are happier, some are feeling even more dejected than they were before. Fans feel sorry for the UK.
And some are just mad. Where just a week ago the fandom was happy, now it seems it’s divided.
A full list of release dates for your country can be found here, on IMDb.
A very exciting New Year’s for the #VAfamily as they got their first official clip from the upcoming movie.
Sami has nailed it. She’s got all sides of Mia we were hoping she would achieve. That vulnerability bubbling under the bitchy surface. I hope that settles people’s angst over her hair – we love this Mia!
Okay… DRAGOZERA FEELS. Lucy as Lissa gave us chills. And the way Christian protects her?
Dominic is just perfect. Defensive and sexy. Swoon…
Rose! The way she just swoops in there… Zoey is absolutely flawless. #HathawaySwag
And of course, the Rose-Mia punch to the nose. This clip was edited, so we can’t wait to see the full scene! A fan-favorite on the big screen. 🙂
“I’ll fire-magic you into ASH!”
“Allow me, Mr Ozera.”
“Why are you Dragomirs SUCH drags?!”
With just over a month left to wait until this highly anticipated movie hits the cinemas, we are very happy with this first look at footage!
Thank you to Lucy Fry Source for uploading the clip for international viewers.
The thing with God’s Green Earth is that when it is night time in half the world, the other side is still rocking on. But things like these are only trivial for fans of Vampire Academy who all convened at the launch of the theatrical trailer and boy was it GOOD!!
Check out the trailer below in FULL HD!
So we start off with the sounds of crickets in the background
And we move to the fridge – part of the opening sequence in the book.
Soon we are whisked away to the beautiful backdrop of Montana, the setting for the Academy.
The gorgeous, regal Lissa Dragomir and guys, the cat is too cute – but it is looking right at US!
Here is the Academy you guys, the beautiful Charterhouse School in Surrey and damn it looks magical!
Flocking to the Church at night, the lighting is freaking amazing!
THE GUARDIAN TRAINING STUFF LOOKS EPIC. AND ON A NOCTURNAL SCHEDULE. FEEEEELS.
WHOA! VIKTOR …. What happened to you?
Lets meet the FACULTY!
GUYS!! The only thing I’m taking from above is Danila’s accent when he says ”Insubordinate” … OMG! FEELS” SWOONIN! HALP
THE HOTTIES FROM ST. VLADS
From Jesse trying to have his way, to Dimitri’s *SWOOOOON* gaze, Mason’s fighting skills to Aaron’s puppy dog eyes and Christian stealing the spotlight …. it’s going to be a busy film!
ROSE HATHAWAY, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
So, Rose is one of a kind … her lines from the trailer are witty, her expressions are fierce and her passion (while dancing with Jesse or lusting with Dimitri) are OFF THE CHARTS!
ALSO YOU GUYS … THE LINE “So I heard you can take two guys at once” IS FROM THE BOOK!!!!
DIMITRI IS EVERYWHERE
Contrary to popular belief, Dimitri can be found lurking around throughout the trailer!
AND THE SPECIAL STUFF!
The still of Christian on the ground trying to use fire looks like its from the climax scenes.
SO FREAKING HAPPY ABOUT THESE PSI-HOUNDS! GUYS – WE GOT THE PSI-HOUNDS!
OKAY! Notice Rose’s eyes? They are glazed over – she is inside Lissa’s Head!!!!!
THE ACTION, THE MYSTERY, THE HORROR
OMG you guys, SHIZZ is going down in Vampire Academy! We’d already seen some action sequences in the first teaser, and this trailer brought us a whole lot more! Can you feel your pulse getting fast?! OMG LIKE ZOMG!
I mean … look at the reaction this screencap of Dimitri Belikov got!!
AND BAM …. That is Vampire Academy … the first one! Set in a high school, with hot boys, mean girls, and BEST FRIENDS FOREVER! Add to that hot Russian mentor, a crazy supernatural world, all the action and mystery … and we are set for the most EPIC YA adaptation of 2014!!
You guys … I want the film out NOW, but our wait is less than three months, so maybe I’ll hang on!
Check out some cast reactions to the trailer (which is basically these two fooling around and not realizing they are both in love with Lissa Dragomir!)
@DomSherwood1 i thought you were amazing. Cant wait to meet u xoxo—
Edward Holcroft (@EdHolcroft) November 22, 2013
Dominic Sherwood (@DomSherwood1) November 22, 2013
And finally, check out the songs from the trailer:
“Kill of the Night” by Gin Wigmore
“Matangi” by M.I.A.