Vampire Academy has now premiered and been shown to an audience and they have loved it, but promos and publicity still continue as we gear up for the Friday release.
1. First up, three videos from ScreenSlam as they interview Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry and Sarah Hyland.
2. Next up, check out this interview of Danila Kozlovsky by The Hollywood Reporter. Aside from the fact that Danila is 28 and not 32 as reported in the article, the interview is one of Danila’s firsts in Hollywood media where he shares his thoughts on his character Dimitri, on Russian cinema and working in the west. Some excerpts are given below –
THR: How would you describe your first English-language role?
Danila: I would like to take a moment to thank Richelle Mead for writing such a great, interesting character as Dimitri. It is very important for me to represent my country in this movie, as a man who loves, who has a good sense of humor, is passionate, and is a very interesting person — a really good guy. Dimitri has been living in America for a long time and speaks with a slight Russian accent. He is a very reliable and, at the same time, a quite mysterious person. He listens to old music and reads cowboy books. He is a man who people say who has old-fashioned values. I really enjoyed playing him. This is not the typical Russian stereotype role where guys are doing stupid or bad things.
THR: Where you would like to be in five or ten years?
Danila: I hope to be continuing to work in my current profession. I am a very lucky person because I have a job that I love doing everyday.
3. Olga Kurylenko appeared on Conan O’Brien and talked a little about the changes made to the character of Headmistress Kirova, who she added, hates kids and would like to torture them. A clip from the film was shown featuring the scene when Dimitri brings back Lissa and Rose to the Academy and puts them in front of Kirova. OMGAD … Danila speaking …. it’s HOT!
4. Sarah Hyland‘s interview with OK! Magazine has been published and she talks about how she spent £ 3000 in room service in London while filming the movie. Read some of the excerpts below and check out the interview.
OK!: How did you adjust to the nighttime shooting schedule?
SH: I’m a night owl so it wasn’t the worst thing in the world. The worst thing in the world was that by the time we got off work everything restaurant was closed and the only thing I had, because I didn’t have a kitchen or anything like that in my hotel room, was room service. By the time I left London I had a ₤3,000 bill for room service. And the sun came up at 4 AM. I can’t wrap my brain around it. That’s what messed me up. Not the filming at night, the sun coming up so early. And it sets at like 10 PM.
OK!: Were you able to explore London at all?
SH: I did the touristy things. I saw the London Eye and we lived near Buckingham Palace and Big Ben so that I was able to see really easily. A food place I really loved was Byron Burger. I miss it. I want it to come to the States.
OK!: Having the experience of training physically for this role, do you feel almost addicted to it now? Do you want to do it again?
SH: I really want to do it again but nothing that I’m up for right now is like that. I want to get in shape again and have a reason instead of being at home and working out because clearly I’m going to watch TV and eat pizza than go work out.
5. Lucy Fry had this really cute interview with The Insider where she talked about enjoying biting people and using compulsion as a vampire trick. Watch the video below.
6. In an interview with Movies.com, Zoey Deutch and Lucy Fry revealed everything that you need to know about Vampire Academy before you watch the film. It’s a quite a lengthy interview, filled with great, fun stuff, make sure you read it on the website. Some excerpts are given below.
Nailing the tone was vital for Vampire Academy. “The most important part of this movie is that the tone stayed consistent because that’s what I was most worried about. When you read the script, the humor and the dialogue is so broad and so wordy that if it were to step back in certain scenes, if it were to get a little nervous, like if [director] Mark [Waters] had trepidations about some of the interactions because it felt too ridiculous, the movie would not have worked. You would feel like you’re seeing six different movies. It needed to be specifically that way, so all those crazy lines that you’re like, ‘Where did [writer] Dan [Waters] come up with that?’ That’s in that world and for me as a teenager, a lot of those things I totally would say. I took out some things here and there, but for the most part, we stayed pretty true to Dan’s words.” – Zoey Deutch
Oscar the cat gets a meatier role in the movie and Fry was thrilled about the additional cuddle time. “It was the sweetest, sweetest thing, Sydney. It was just the cuddliest cat. There were two cats actually that were playing Oscar. One of them was the one that was really well trained and knew how to stay and walk and everything, and then there was the one that just loved being cuddled and most of the scenes we were doing cuddling scenes so I got to just snuggle this cat the whole time and it was so good for me because I’d been missing my dog a lot and it’s like animal therapy. It just feels so much better. Every day that Oscar was needed I was just so happy.” – Lucy Fry [omg you guys, Sydney is in VAMovie =P]
Is Lucy ready for Frostbite’s unprecedented threesome? “Well, I like that it’s from Rose’s perspective and that she gets out of there before anything too intense happens. I guess I haven’t ever done that before so it would take a lot of courage, but, you know, if we get to do a second film, then I would just be so excited for the film and you do what you’ve gotta do.” – Lucy Fry
Can Zoey ski? “[Laughs] No! Oh, I have an awful skiing story that I’m not gonna tell now, but no, I can’t ski! I’m the worst skier pretty much.” – Zoey Deutch
7. A hilarious video on Entertainment Tonight finds the VA cast members quizzing each other on which vampire they would like to be bitten by to mean girl high school stories. Dominic revealed he would prefer Bella over Elena because she would be more gentle, while Lucy and Sarah went for Ian Somerhalder’s Damon over Edward Cullen. Zoey was given a choice between Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp and chose both. Watch the video below –
8. Check out all these fashion articles about all the pretty dresses worn at the Premiere – Sugarscape and The Fashion Court. Zoey wore Monique Lhullier, Sarah wore Zac Posen, Olga was dressed in Dior and Sami wore a Miu Miu dress.
9. All the video interviews from the premiere are now starting to appear. Check out the videos on YouTube at Silver Screen PR, KatTales TV and CelebrityChaos. You can also check out a collection of photos and videos on Fans of Vampire Academy.
Here’s a video of Danila on the red carpet –
10. More videos from ScreenSlam at the premiere have been added to the playlist below. Interviews by Zoey, Lucy, Danila, Dominic, Sarah, Cameron, Sami, Ashley, Olga, Joely and screenwriter Dan Waters as well as BTS look at the red carpet.
Only a couple more days left folks, hang in and we’ll be there soon!
Last week was busy, busy, busy and this week is no different because this week is “VAMPIRE ACADEMY PREMIERE AND RELEASE” week! You guys, I’m emotional, this has been a long journey for us fans (five for me and seven for the other fangirl who makes up fangirling central) and the film has technically been three years in the making. Now it’s time to support one of our favourite book series of all time, the author Richelle and the countless cast and crew who have brought it to life. More on that later, first, let’s recap all the news we’ve missed in the past couple of days (because I was too bust fangirling and feeling the feels).
1. First up, there are FOUR video interviews from Screen Slam (held during the press junket last Saturday). There are some amazing interviews with Zoey, Lucy, Sarah each and one with Lucy and Dom <3. Check them out below.
2. Zoey also appeared in a video for Clevver TV and played “Caption It” with host Joslyn Davis. Watch the hilarious video below.
Also check Joslyn Davis’ reaction after watching the film –
JOSLYN DAVIS (@JoslynDavis) February 01, 2014
And while we are at yet, another fan saw the film and LOVED IT! [you guys, I’m so excited but here at Fangirling Central, our wait to watch the film will be late – Feb 21 (India) and April 23 (UK) – say what!]
@VAOfficialMovie After more than 3 years of waiting,I finally watched the movie, and my only thought is: Wow,it was worth the waiting!—
Vampire Academy BG (@vampacademybg) February 03, 2014
@FansofVA i got the impression from the first trailers that the movie will not have the seriousness of the book, however I was proven wrong—
Vampire Academy BG (@vampacademybg) February 03, 2014
3. Over at MTV, Dominic was declared to be the “Man Crush Monday” candidate for this Monday, and we couldn’t agree more!
4. In what will surely become “Vampire Academy Trivia”, it was revealed that Danila Kozlovksy (Dimitri) and Olga Kurylenko (Ms. Kirova) have dubbed for their characters in Vampire Academy for the Russian market.
Lazarevskaya Alex (@kapsya72) February 03, 2014
5. Zoey Deutch articles news!
Beauty High did an article with Zoey discussing the film as well as beauty. Some excerpts from the interview are below.
Beauty High: “Vampire Academy” will be in theaters for Valentine’s Day. Is this a movie you’d recommend bringing your boyfriend to, or would you go with a group of girlfriends?
Zoey Deutch: By no means is it a chick flick. It leans more towards comedy, but the secondary genre is thriller/action, so thirdly it’s a romance. If anything, guys would really enjoy it, it totally appeals to that audience. The title is understandably girly, but it’s guy-centric and funny and they’ll really dig it. Cars blow up and stuff.
Beauty High: When you’re not on set, what’s your go to beauty look?
Zoey Deutch: I’m pretty OCD about facial cleanliness, and I carry Cetaphil wash and moisturizer in my purse everywhere I go. I love a clean face. I like mascara and Vaseline for my lips. But for auditions, when I go to meetings, I try to spruce up a little more. They pound on the makeup at work.
Also check out this beauty product gallery to learn more about the go to beauty products of VA stars Zoey Deutch and Sarah Hyland.
Zoey was also interviewed by OK! Magazine. Check out some excerpts below.
OK!: What drew you to the role of Rose initially?
Zoey Deutch: When you’re an actor you get an email from your agent that says the breakdown of the story, the director, the producers, the budget, the shooting location, when it starts…whatever. The first thing I saw was Mark Waters. I thought, “Oh gosh, he did my favorite movie Mean Girls.” That was the initial thing that struck me this could be really cool. Then I read the sides and the script and I thought, “Wow, this is a never before done, super unique character.”
OK!: Do you feel addicted to the physical training that goes into a role like this?
ZD: I was a dancer; I love yoga, I love hiking. I had never set foot into a gym prior to getting this job. I fell more in love with the kickboxing and martial arts training. That was super fun. I try to act tough and cool and like I know what’s going on and I totally don’t. Having the ability to genuinely defend yourself is something no one can take away from you.
6. Two interviews of Dominic also appeared online. In the first, with “about.com” he talks playing Christian, his clumsiness and working with Mark Waters. Some excerpts are given below.
What was it about the character you found so interesting?
“The 5-year-old in me got to play a vampire. He gets to play with fire and fall in love with the princess and save the day. The little boy in me would have kicked my ass if I hadn’t taken this role.”
Are you clumsy in real life or is it just the set that made you horribly clumsy?
“Oh no, all the time. I’m a horribly clumsy person. Yeah, I’m dropping stuff, falling over all the time. I’m a lot less clumsy when I used to motorbike. When I was on my motorbike or when I’m skateboarding or long-boarding, I’m very elegant. Not ‘very elegant’ – I’m more elegant when I’m doing those sort of things, but when I’m walking down the street I will probably fall down.”
Speaking of life on the set, what was Mark Waters like as a director?
“Amazing. Mark is an actor’s director – that’s the best way of putting him. He knows exactly how to talk to us and to work with us and how to get the best performance out of us and taught us all of these tricks and tips that I can now move on and use the rest of my life, but he’s also the nicest man.”
In an interview at the press junket, published by Kidzworld, Dominic spoke about his school experiences, his interest in Greek mythology and Christian! Some excerpts below –
Kidzworld: At school, were you sporty or nerdy or….?
Dominic: I was musical. I still play a lot of music now because it’s a very cathartic thing for me, personally. “Oh, I’m feeling sad” or “I’m feeling happy” and I’ll sit down and play a song and I’ll feel better. I play guitar, a little piano and I sing a little…my own stuff.
Kidzworld: Now that you’ve played a type of vampire, do you want to play a zombie or anything like that?
Dominic: Something in the supernatural genre? I’m actually very into Greek mythology and always have been. Anything to do with the Gods or Demigods or Hercules or Perseus or Achilles. I’ve always been really, really interested in that sort of stuff. I have Hermes tattoo, the winged messenger. (He shows us his ankle. Yep, wings!).
Kidzworld: What are the aspects of the Christian character that you hope people learn from?
Dominic: The things that I want people to connect to and to learn from aren’t related to him being a vampire. They are related to the normal things that normal people go through in a normal high school. Those are the things that I wanted to learn. If people are watching Christian I’d want them to see that he’s loyal and he loves Lissa and it doesn’t really matter what people think about you. Good things come to those who deserve it and who’ve earned it. Christian really did. He’d earned himself a friend and a soulmate and he found it in Lissa.
7. Two interviews with author Richelle Mead were also published online. In an interview with The Young Folks, Richelle talked about the film, Zoey Deutch, the script as well as the fifth Bloodlines book, Silver Shadows, out later this year. Some excerpts are given below.
On the film –
“I have seen it, and I am in love with it,” Mead answered.On Zoey Deutch –
“My agent and I were talking about her, and when we saw the movie, Zoey was so effortlessly Rose. You don’t even realize it, like I couldn’t believe it. She has that attitude, and she brings it on camera. Off camera, she’s just so spunky; when she’s in the room, people know it. She’s not just spunk and humor, but she’s also a super caring and compassionate young woman. I fondly remember being on set, and she was worried about me being under the lights, I don’t know if you know this, but it’s really hot being on set. It was a long day on set for her, and she was worried about me, making sure I had enough water and I was comfortable. It’s funny because her caring reflects how Rose treats Lissa, and she has that fun attitude that we love, so Zoey was able to play both types well.”
On Daniel Waters writing the script –“[Getting the right screenwriter] was very important to me, and I didn’t know if they were going to get a screenwriter who was so deeply melodramatic that none of Rose’s attitude would carry through. Well, I just loved the script. I was especially relieved because he gets what I did with the book and fully realizes it. The comedy is there, and I know some people are worried about that based on the advertising, but it’s still with the tone of the book. The seriousness is still there. He was very conscientious about that. He understood what I was trying to do, and what I was doing was trying to balance a bunch of different tones. And you know, he carried that through to the script.”
In an interview with Popsugar, Richelle spoke about why fan’s shouldn’t be nervous about the film.
PS: After seeing the movie, what are you most proud of as a writer?
RM: The characters really translated well onto the screen. It’s always my biggest goal as a writer to make characters that, before you fall in love with them, you want to know everything that’s going to happen to them. That’s what hooks me as a reader. I put most of my work into the characters when I write, and I was so thrilled that the actors nailed it.
PS: What is the biggest change they made from the book to the movie?
RM: I can’t pinpoint one big one; it’s mostly a lot of little things throughout. They didn’t radically alter major plot points or change the ending. There is a handful of things where either they had to trim down a scene or if something didn’t play well visually, they may have enhanced it. One big thing that has thrown a few people off is that there are a few flashbacks and dream sequences that have been added on. When people see those in the trailers, they get confused and a little nervous because they think there’s been some radical plot alteration, but really it’s just something to help clarify the movie. This is a movie that you’re going to look at and know instantly what book it’s from. That’s not always the case with adaptations.
8. Speaking of Popsugar, Zoey Deutch and Lucy Fry visited them for an interview. Check out the video below.
And speaking of more video interviews, check out this one of Zoey, Lucy and Dominic with Houston Style Magazine.
Earlier yesterday, Zoey appeared on “Good Day LA” where compliments from the host made her hide in embarrassment!
9. Huffington Post published an article written by Mark Waters explaning why Vampire Academy is different to any other Young Adult book to movie adaptation that have hit the silver screen. Be sure to check it out.
10. Yesterday (Monday, Feb 3) kicked off the film’s release week with a meet and greet in Los Angeles as well as a party to launch the music soundtrack which was attended by – Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry, Danila Kozlovsky, Dominic Sherwood, Cameron Monaghan, Sami Gayle, Ashley Charles and Dominique Tipper, as well as the director Mark Waters, writer Daniel Waters and the producers. And we have the pictures!!!
First up, the meet and greet at The Grove in LA was attended by Zoey, Lucy, Dom, Cameron and Sami. Check out more photos at Fans of Vampire Academy.
Then the most adorable thing happened when Lucy started playing with a little dog and Zoey took the video. Watch it below –
Later, the party started at LURE nightclub and ROCKED on as Iggy Azalea (one of the contributing artists on the film’s soundtrack) took the stage and sang her hit numbers. Check out more photos at Fans of Vampire Academy.
Official VA Movie (@OfficialVAMovie) February 01, 2014
The Vampire Academy fandom has been having a crazy, busy week, and we are still seven days away from the release of the film. If you’ve been following all our coverage, then you’ve surely seen the crazy busy first part to this and the fact that seven clips from the film landed yesterday! More publicity and promotional stuff follow below! Also check out our Vampire Academy page and bookmark – we’ll be posting all the updates there.
1. On Tuesday, Zoey Deutch was at the TEEN headquarters. Check out this awesome cute video of hers with quotes from the film.
“Looks like Aaron’s tried to replace you with a keychain version.” – Rose
“So tough and one of a kind, yet still a girl.” – Victor
“This is insane … insanely hot. What are we doing?” – Dimitri
2. On Wednesday, Sarah Hyland hopped onto a plane to New York and appeared on the Good Morning America show where she talked about the film and I must add, she met John Stamos, Uncle Jesse from Full House.
3. After GMA, Sarah hopped over to “Live with Kelly and Michael” where she spoke about her experience at the Grammy Awards, winning the SAG for Modern Family and Vampire Academy. They showed the clip of her character, Natalie, licking the wall and Sarah said it was a mixture of corn starch and syrup, but most importantly, it was edible and non-toxic. Check out the segment below –
4. Sarah has been doing a whole lot of press for the film, check out her red carpet interviews from last Sunday’s Grammy awards.
5. This really cute interview with Zoey and Lucy at the Buzzfeed office (on Monday) was published yesterday where both were quizzed about the other and the result was ADORBS. Check it out here!
Some of our favourites –
Q. What is Zoey’s favourite colour?
Lucy’s guess: Lime green but that’s a lie, she doesn’t have one.
Zoey’s answer: Not pale green! Don’t know.
LF: You lied!
ZD: No, I said it’s not pale green, don’t know.
Q. What is Lucy’s pet peeve?
Zoey’s guess: Tickling chin.
Lucy’s answer: Touching my face.
ZD: OH I GOT IT I GOT IT!
Q. What is Lucy’s Spirit animal?
Zoey’s guess: Dolphin.
Lucy’s answer: Dolphin.
ZD: Oh my god!
LF: That’s pretty good.
5. The VA Movie Mall Party event took place in Houston yesterday and in attendance were Zoey, Lucy and Dominic. Fans got makeovers done and took home swag bags with makeup and goodies in addition to meeting the stars! Check out more photos on Fans of Vampire Academy and Just Jared Jr.
6. Before the Mall Party, Red Carpet Ending did an interview with Zoey, Lucy and Dominic. They spoke about their reactions on getting the part, how they got into the skin of their characters and all of them agreed that Danila was the funniest guy on set! Watch the interview below –
7. Later on, the three went to a signing at Barnes and Noble bookstore. You can read a fan’s experience right here on Tumblr. and check out the photos on Fans of Vampire Academy! Check out a fan video below –
8. Sami Gayle‘s interview with We Got This Covered popped up which you can check out here! She said she liked the whole spur off the moment thing with the release date being pushed up and it was exciting to start promotions on the film. She also mentioned that she is off to Los Angeles to start with the film publicity. She also spoke about her Skype auditions and her love for Mean Girls. Be sure to watch the video.
9. If you are looking to refresh your memory or just want to know what Vampire Academy is about, check out this article from Yahoo! Lifestyle New Zealand.
10. Cast promo portraits have also popped up with Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry and Sami Gayle. The girls look so pretty. You can check out all the photographs on Fans of Vampire Academy.
11. Finally, the Vampire Academy Soundtrack was made available for pre-order on the US iTunes stores and includes an additional song – Goldfrapp’s Felt Mountain. So be sure to get your digital copy as well!
There is more great stuff coming up guys, mall parties in San Francisco, LA and New Jersey and of course … the world premiere at Regal Cinemas in Los Angeles on February 4! So be sure to check back with us for our extensive coverage!
The promotions and publicity for Vampire Academy are gearing up ahead of its February 7th release and now there are 7 … yes 7 NEW clips from the film that will leave you FANGIRLING beyond control. We’ll just do it now – ASDFGHJKL!!!
1. CLASS DISTURBANCE
First up is this clip, first revealed exclusive by Yahoo Movies that shows the scene from the book where Christian lights Ralf (Ray in the film) on fire! YOU GUYS, this scene is so PERF, it is so well adapted … that we can’t contain our joy!! OHMYGOD … bad boy Dom Sherwood rocks as Christian. [The Yahoo article (click above) also has the link from Zoey Deutch’s takeover of Yahoo’s Instagram]. Check out the clip below –
We even have a screenshot of the tweets exchanged on the day these scenes were presumably filmed, after Chris Mason’s (Ralf/Ray) tweet that suggested fire scenes. Harry Bradshaw plays Bruno, Mia’s friend (seen sitting next to Mia in the clip) and Raj Purewal plays a dhampir student (seen sitting behind Christian in the clip).
2. LISSA SHOWS OFF
Book fans will surely recognize this scene from the part of the book where Lissa starts getting in with the popular crowd once again as well as bagging her ex, Aaron, away from mean girl Mia. Also shown in the clip – Rose’s dislike for Lissa’s new behaviour!
In a scene that is not completely from the book, Natalie confesses her crush on Ray (Ralf in the book) – and you guys – this is so UNCANNY – because a certain Vampire Academy Roleplay on Facebook (involving two close friends of mine) started out a “relationship” between Natalie and Ray – and this was before there was any evidence of such a thing in the film – you guys, great minds think alike 😉
Also, while in the book it was Mason who tipped off Rose about the conditions of Mia’s family, here it is actually Natalie and Rose who do the detective work! Check it out –
4.NOSE JOB IN MONTANA
This scene picks off right after the second clip with Natalie being her nerdy best and Rose with her quick one liners as seen before in the trailer.
5. THE DANCE
Previously released by MTV, this clip had been cut to fit into a time slot and seemed rushed and OTT. Not anymore, although we’re still a little unsure about the dialogue used here … no one can argue that Zoey Deutch’s Rose OWNS the clip!
6. BLOOD MESSAGE
This clip starts off with a conversation between Rose and Natalie discussing how the Queen was a mean one to Lissa … just like she was in the book – so fret not from that first teaser trailer. Rose and Natalie find a blood message which Natalie actually tastes to determine what kind of blood it is, while Lissa tries to shake it off, calling it a prank because the pranksters clearly didn’t know how to spell.
In this clip, we have Rose getting into Lissa’s head through the bond and discovers Lissa confronting Christian, who then calls her out on her hair flipping – guys, things are going to get HEATED here!
So there you have it – these seven new clips should leave you excited and wanting more – and you shall get more come February 7, 2013 when the film opens in US and Canada. Don’t forget to check out our round up of Vampire Academy press and goodies and check back daily for new developments!
With the release of Vampire Academy nearby, the publicity and promos are gearing up and it’s impossible to keep track! Especially when you count all the TV spots and trailers they keep releasing every two days! When the tagline said ”Prepare to be Tested” back in July, 2013 … this is surely what they meant! We bring you a roundup of all that has happened so far. Check our Vampire Academy page to make sure you are up to date with everything going on.
1. First up – Check out this poster, definitely an improvement with the colour and tagline and our Morois and Dhampirs look fierce and ready to battle, in an exclusive reveal via Buzzfeed.
2. Check out the songs from the Vampire Academy soundtrack, we’ve updated with the CHVRCHES cover of Bela Lugosi’s Dead and all other songs (except one yet to be released) right here and the CHVRCHES cover right below –
3. Danila Kolzovsky (Dimitri Belikov) attended a press conference in Russia to talk about the film. Read the English Translation of the interview which is SUPER ADORBS on Kozlovsky Brazil and if you want to watch him, and lets be honest, who wouldn’t even if they don’t understand Russian, watch it below!
Check out some of our favourite highlights from the press conference –
Danila on Skyping with Mark Waters (on auditioning for VA):
“I showed him two scenes from Richelle’s 1st book. The first scene is how real a Dhampir must kill a Strigoi. I showed him some gestures and read the text. The second scene was about how Dimitri first understood he was falling for Roza. I must show how I see her (Roza), what i’m thinking, how i’m looking at her, what i’m thinking about her.”
Danila on his Vampire Academy Movie partners:
“All the guys are so young (i repeat: so young!) But all of them are incredibly talented. They (Dominic & Lucy) are big professionals but they’re funny too. They made my hard work easier because both have a great sense of humor. There were a lot of joke and laugh during the shooting. They (Dominic & Lucy) helped me with my adaptation very much! She (Zoey Deutch) works so much and so hard! She had only one day off on this shooting, but i never heard complaints from her.”
Danila on Richelle Mead:
“I must say my personal thanks to this amazing writer and woman. She created a very interesting character: Dimitri. She allowed him to fall in love, to love and to protect those he loves! He’s a gentleman and i really appreciate it! Thank you, Richelle!”
Journalist: Can you compare Vampire Academy with Twilight or Harry Potter, for example?
“I never watched Twilight. But i watched Harry Potter! I’m a real fan of this story. Once i watched all the Harry Potter movies in a whole day. (Everyone has a bad day when we want to relax, don’t we?) – Danila laughs – I can’t compare these movies. Every single one of them has their own mythology. Maybe i can only say that the main action of these stories is at schools (or Academy). But i don’t see other points.”
4. Sami Gayle (Mia Rinaldi) appeared on PIX11 to speak about Vampire Academy. She spoke about how Vampire Academy was different from other vampire movies because it was set in a school and is about the tribulations of teenagers at school and how difficult it is to grow up in the stage between adolescents and adults, something both demographics will be able to relate to. Check out the interview below –
You can also check out the screencaps and transcription on Fans of Vampire Academy.
5. Sarah Hyland (Natalie Dashkov) appeared on the radio with Ryan Seacrest to talk about Vampire Academy. Sarah said that she was excited for her fans to see the film because it is so different than anything else she’s ever done in the past. She described her character as being nerdy, wearing fake pimples, glasses and frizzy hair. Listen to the session below –
6. Zoey Deutch (Rose Hathaway) and Lucy Fry (Lissa Dragomir) took over a Reddit AMA session, answering questions from fans. Check it out on Fans of Vampire Academy. Our favourites are shown below –
7. Zoey and Lucy then appeared live on Huffington Post to chat about Vampire Academy. They looked super cute –
Zoey spoke about how funny Vampire Academy is and Lucy added that it takes a cheekiness to vampires along with the power and darkness that comes with being a vampire. Watch the interview below –
Check out more screencaps and some quotes on Fans of Vampire Academy.
8. Richelle Mead has seen the movie and she loved it! Last night she took over @VAOfficialMovie‘s Twitter handle to chat with fans who had questions for her. Check out the excerpts below and read her full interview here on Fans of Vampire Academy or Her Royal Guardian. Some of our favourites are below –
Hey there! This is Richelle Mead, taking over this account for the next hour to answer your questions about the VA movie!—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@EverlarkFaye Yes, esp b/c all my fave scenes were in there. If one of your faves was cut, you might be sad, but overall, they kept most!—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@OOhAlley Yes! I intended the book to be a mix of seriousness, romance, & humor, & the movie nails it (no matter what some ads might seem!)—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@NorLovesGlitter Last Stand is my favorite by far. If you haven't seen it, go search and check it out! Very dark and lots of action.—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@SuperSilverJay Serious w/a sense of humor, just like the books! The ads show a lot of humor to pull in new people, but fans will approve.—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@nicky_greece93 There are some dream sequences and background stories that don't change the book & will make sense when you see it. 🙂—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@olicitys Nope. I'd say 90% is from book 1, then the rest are small book-to-movie changes or extra background info to explain things.—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
9. A few days earlier, Dominic Sherwood (Christian Ozera) did an interview for Hypable which is so insightful. Be sure to read it. Our favourite Q&As …
Q: How did you create the character of Christian?
A: “I went to six auditions for the part of Christian. This is really embarrassing, I worked at Hollister just up the road from where the auditions were being held and I would do an audition one day and my agent would ring me up and say, “that was great but they want you to make him funnier.” I would go in and do that and then I would get a phone call saying, “yeah, that was great but they want you to go in and make him darker, and make him poutier.” I was like, “oh my god, you don’t know what you want!” But when I got offered the role I realized that Christian was all those things.”
Q: What was it like to use fire as Christian’s element?
A: “I was so excited to get to play with fire. It was unreal. We toyed around with the idea early on with this special gel where they could set my hands on fire. I could have done all this crazy stuff with it but we ended up not using it. We had live fire on the set for the whole ending sequence but again, I’m not allowed to mention, but it was cool. We had fire very close to my body at one point and the stunt and safety team had gotten to know me by then and they knew I was pretty clumsy and dumb at times. They were like, “don’t put your hands in the fire whatever you do.” I was like, “Cool. I will try to do that guys, not put my hands in open flame.””
Q: Do you have a message for the fans?
A: “It would be: thank you. For all of the support you have given us and being so nice to us. The MTV Movie Brawl is going on right now and they are so 100% behind us. Thank you, is all I can say. I wish I had more eloquent words, more poetic words, to give you but thanks is all I’ve got.”
There you go, calling all VA fans, book fans, YA fans, vote for Vampire Academy in the MTV Movie Brawl and make it the number one movie, click here.
10. Also don’t miss all the upcoming promos and contests such as winning tickets to the LA premiere and other events like the meet and greet in different US cities and promos coming up, check out the list below, courtesy Fans of Vampire Academy and Vampire Academy’s Official Movie Facebook Event page –
January 28: Zoey Deutch is taking over Yahoo Insta
January 29: Kelly and Michael with Sarah Hyland
January 29: Red carpet endings meeting the cast
January 29: VA Movie Mall Party, 2 PM local time, Houston Galleria, Houston, TX
January 29: Book signing at Barnes & Noble in The Woodlands (Zoey, Lucy and Dom)
January 31: Sami on the Talk (CBS)
January 31: VA Movie Mall Party, 2 PM local time, Westfield San Francisco Centre, San Francisco, CA
February 1: Press conference LA
February 3: VA Movie Mall Party, 2 PM local time, The Grove, Los Angeles, CA
February 4: LA Premiere, Regal theatre, Los Angeles, CA
February 6: VA Movie Mall Party, 2 PM local time, Westfield Garden State Plaza Mall, Parasmus, NJ
February 6: Zoey Deutch in Under the Gunn
So sign up and attend the events if you live in those cities!
11. Stay tuned … lots more coming from the world of Vampire Academy … speaking of which, check out the cool new website “World of Vampire Academy” … there are lots of goodies, information on the different levels of guardian training, and this SUPER ADORBS video made by St. Vlad’s students holding a decathlon –
New Vampire Academy trailers have hit the web featuring new scenes, an introduction by leading ladies, Zoey Deutch and Lucy Fry, and an interview with author Richelle Mead. Check out these awesome new trailers for the film, out in North America on February 7, right below –
Vampire Academy Trailer from Regal Cinemas
The girls talk about high school life
How there are nerds …
and sexy jocks – but idk … Dimitri isn’t a jock … he’s a kickass guardian!
The depressed emo kid …. ❤ hi Christian!
The death threats? … wait that’s not normal high school stuff?!
Oooooooh Spiridion and Dimitri fight!
Whoa … Dimitri picks up Rose in a scene from the start of the film!
Vampire Academy Featurette with Richelle Mead
Richelle talks about the adaptation.
Remember this scene girls? And … do you see something you like? 😉
The trailer shows a scene with the two best friends playfully laughing (thinking this scene might be before the crash?)
There is also this touching scene with Rose helping Lissa, who is clearly in pain.
Then there is this sequence, which feels so much like a scene out of Shadow Kiss … that is getting me worried!
TV Spot – “Forbidden Love”
St. Vlad’s seen from an angle with the lighting changing from light to dark!
Out in the dark woods … something be lurking …
Seriously though – the Dimitri love this TV spot has gotten is just right in the FEELS!
Look at this you guys, Danila is basically just OWNING his scenes …
Rose talks about how special Lissa is …
But Christian isn’t convinced yet! “You want my help?”
He only wants to watch the world burn! 😉
TV Spot – “Undead”
Lady Gaga’s “Teeth” is playing in my head right now… Show me your teeth!
TV Spot – “Secrets”
This TV spot was released on January 24 and features some new scenes.
Rose introduces this new TV spot
Hellooooo Christian ❤ … always good to see you!
Amping up the mystery!
And book fans know what they are talking about! *wink wink*
Hey there! It’s Crazy KARP!
There it is … this strigoi scene again! What’s going on? But look at Rose using those nan-chucks … you go girl!
Nan chucks are to Rose what a stake is to Dimitri!
This one was pretty funny … Lissa: “Did you have to hurt them?” Rose: “You’re welcome.”
TV Spot – “Last Stand”
This TV spot, released January 28, named “Last Stand” has some scenes previously seen, and some new ones!
Karp – “The darkness beckons.”
Rose – “And my good mood is over.”
Lissa – “It’s my turn to kick a little arse.”
These six new trailers give us a better look at the upcoming film and if anything … are making us even more excited, such that we can hardly wait! Check out the release dates for Vampire Academy in your country here and don’t forget to catch it in theatres worldwide, over the course of the next few months!
Did you like the new trailers?
Not every fan was pleased when the Vampire Academy trailers released to general audiences these past few months, as the marketing for the film showcased a comic angle. Tonight, however, all those naysayers will have to bow down to the two new TV spots released for Vampire Academy which highlight the dark, serious and action packed tones that convey the true sense of the book to the fans.
Here are the trailers …
And as always …. we bring you our reactions!!
The first trailer “Last Stand” starts off with the ominous trailer voice explaining the scenario, the lighting is so much darker in tone with these shots of the school and the surrounding woods.
And the dhampir classes! Guardian Alberta, who has actually been renamed as Guardian Gabriela for the film, is shown conducting classes and what a badass. Meanwhile, elsewhere, Guardian Belikov is tutoring his favourite student … tsk tsk! All these classes taking place against the backdrop of St. Vladimir’s Academy provide some beautiful shots.
Lets take a moment to look at Guardian Belikov. The first still, when Guardian Gabriela (Alberta) asks if they should call for backup, he coolly shrugs her off with a ‘no’ and proceeds to take down the bad guys!
And then he has time to go romance off, looking all muscular and chiseled and OHMYGAAAADDDD I can’t breathe!!!
In all the stills and clips that I have seen, I can tell that Zoey Deutch embodies Rose so perfectly, it is becoming increasingly difficult to separate the two. And you guys, that moment with the music and trailer voice in the background, she turns around and her ponytail does this swivel, and its so EPIC!!!
Psychic bond time, but it’s not something pleasant that Rose is seeing this time! Lissa is in trouble!!
Lets talk about these two best friends, throughout the trailer, Rose is being told that she has to protect Lissa, and she does, throwing herself in front of her best friend to protect her from the Guardians, in a scene that mirrors the book!
Talking about the beginning of the book, lets take a moment to discuss this scene. Methinks a strigoi attack takes place on the convoy that is bringing the girls back to the Academy. Not from the book, but it definitely ups the ante for the film!
All in all … this will be an amazing scene for the fans! Hello Christian ❤
Speaking of Christian, look what our favourite magic user does!
Speaking of school hotties … Hello Jesse!
Oh look … it’s crazy Karp giving the girls a warning!
Viktor seems to be doing the same thing … all this talk of boogeyman lurking by!
Except that in this story … the boogeymen are the Strigoi … and I seriously hope these scenes are at the end of the film, as the camera pans out to show the threat of Strigoi lurking by!
However, if those scenes of Strigoi have anything to do with a school attack … which DOES NOT take place in the first book … there are some fans who will actually want blood …
(seriously guys … what is this? a flashback?)
And we are going to take blood … just like Lissa does here … I think!
All in all, I’d say these trailers definitely show us much more about the film, including it’s dark tone, the abundance of action, thrill and seriousness and definitely should give the harsher critics – the loyal book fans – something to look forward to in the film, which now releases a week earlier in United States of America, on February 7.