Vampire Academy has now premiered and been shown to an audience and they have loved it, but promos and publicity still continue as we gear up for the Friday release.
1. First up, three videos from ScreenSlam as they interview Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry and Sarah Hyland.
2. Next up, check out this interview of Danila Kozlovsky by The Hollywood Reporter. Aside from the fact that Danila is 28 and not 32 as reported in the article, the interview is one of Danila’s firsts in Hollywood media where he shares his thoughts on his character Dimitri, on Russian cinema and working in the west. Some excerpts are given below –
THR: How would you describe your first English-language role?
Danila: I would like to take a moment to thank Richelle Mead for writing such a great, interesting character as Dimitri. It is very important for me to represent my country in this movie, as a man who loves, who has a good sense of humor, is passionate, and is a very interesting person — a really good guy. Dimitri has been living in America for a long time and speaks with a slight Russian accent. He is a very reliable and, at the same time, a quite mysterious person. He listens to old music and reads cowboy books. He is a man who people say who has old-fashioned values. I really enjoyed playing him. This is not the typical Russian stereotype role where guys are doing stupid or bad things.
THR: Where you would like to be in five or ten years?
Danila: I hope to be continuing to work in my current profession. I am a very lucky person because I have a job that I love doing everyday.
3. Olga Kurylenko appeared on Conan O’Brien and talked a little about the changes made to the character of Headmistress Kirova, who she added, hates kids and would like to torture them. A clip from the film was shown featuring the scene when Dimitri brings back Lissa and Rose to the Academy and puts them in front of Kirova. OMGAD … Danila speaking …. it’s HOT!
4. Sarah Hyland‘s interview with OK! Magazine has been published and she talks about how she spent £ 3000 in room service in London while filming the movie. Read some of the excerpts below and check out the interview.
OK!: How did you adjust to the nighttime shooting schedule?
SH: I’m a night owl so it wasn’t the worst thing in the world. The worst thing in the world was that by the time we got off work everything restaurant was closed and the only thing I had, because I didn’t have a kitchen or anything like that in my hotel room, was room service. By the time I left London I had a ₤3,000 bill for room service. And the sun came up at 4 AM. I can’t wrap my brain around it. That’s what messed me up. Not the filming at night, the sun coming up so early. And it sets at like 10 PM.
OK!: Were you able to explore London at all?
SH: I did the touristy things. I saw the London Eye and we lived near Buckingham Palace and Big Ben so that I was able to see really easily. A food place I really loved was Byron Burger. I miss it. I want it to come to the States.
OK!: Having the experience of training physically for this role, do you feel almost addicted to it now? Do you want to do it again?
SH: I really want to do it again but nothing that I’m up for right now is like that. I want to get in shape again and have a reason instead of being at home and working out because clearly I’m going to watch TV and eat pizza than go work out.
5. Lucy Fry had this really cute interview with The Insider where she talked about enjoying biting people and using compulsion as a vampire trick. Watch the video below.
6. In an interview with Movies.com, Zoey Deutch and Lucy Fry revealed everything that you need to know about Vampire Academy before you watch the film. It’s a quite a lengthy interview, filled with great, fun stuff, make sure you read it on the website. Some excerpts are given below.
Nailing the tone was vital for Vampire Academy. “The most important part of this movie is that the tone stayed consistent because that’s what I was most worried about. When you read the script, the humor and the dialogue is so broad and so wordy that if it were to step back in certain scenes, if it were to get a little nervous, like if [director] Mark [Waters] had trepidations about some of the interactions because it felt too ridiculous, the movie would not have worked. You would feel like you’re seeing six different movies. It needed to be specifically that way, so all those crazy lines that you’re like, ‘Where did [writer] Dan [Waters] come up with that?’ That’s in that world and for me as a teenager, a lot of those things I totally would say. I took out some things here and there, but for the most part, we stayed pretty true to Dan’s words.” – Zoey Deutch
Oscar the cat gets a meatier role in the movie and Fry was thrilled about the additional cuddle time. “It was the sweetest, sweetest thing, Sydney. It was just the cuddliest cat. There were two cats actually that were playing Oscar. One of them was the one that was really well trained and knew how to stay and walk and everything, and then there was the one that just loved being cuddled and most of the scenes we were doing cuddling scenes so I got to just snuggle this cat the whole time and it was so good for me because I’d been missing my dog a lot and it’s like animal therapy. It just feels so much better. Every day that Oscar was needed I was just so happy.” – Lucy Fry [omg you guys, Sydney is in VAMovie =P]
Is Lucy ready for Frostbite’s unprecedented threesome? “Well, I like that it’s from Rose’s perspective and that she gets out of there before anything too intense happens. I guess I haven’t ever done that before so it would take a lot of courage, but, you know, if we get to do a second film, then I would just be so excited for the film and you do what you’ve gotta do.” – Lucy Fry
Can Zoey ski? “[Laughs] No! Oh, I have an awful skiing story that I’m not gonna tell now, but no, I can’t ski! I’m the worst skier pretty much.” – Zoey Deutch
7. A hilarious video on Entertainment Tonight finds the VA cast members quizzing each other on which vampire they would like to be bitten by to mean girl high school stories. Dominic revealed he would prefer Bella over Elena because she would be more gentle, while Lucy and Sarah went for Ian Somerhalder’s Damon over Edward Cullen. Zoey was given a choice between Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp and chose both. Watch the video below –
8. Check out all these fashion articles about all the pretty dresses worn at the Premiere – Sugarscape and The Fashion Court. Zoey wore Monique Lhullier, Sarah wore Zac Posen, Olga was dressed in Dior and Sami wore a Miu Miu dress.
9. All the video interviews from the premiere are now starting to appear. Check out the videos on YouTube at Silver Screen PR, KatTales TV and CelebrityChaos. You can also check out a collection of photos and videos on Fans of Vampire Academy.
Here’s a video of Danila on the red carpet –
10. More videos from ScreenSlam at the premiere have been added to the playlist below. Interviews by Zoey, Lucy, Danila, Dominic, Sarah, Cameron, Sami, Ashley, Olga, Joely and screenwriter Dan Waters as well as BTS look at the red carpet.
Only a couple more days left folks, hang in and we’ll be there soon!
The Cast of #VAMovie (via @RegalLALive)
The worldwide premiere for Vampire Academy took place earlier today (February 4) and unfortunately there was no live telecast. But the Internet is not without it’s perks folks … and with all the live tweeting and photos popping up, we were all but caught up. Here is our coverage with tweets and photos.
The day started off with the cast tweeting about the premiere
Harry Bradshaw (@HarryBradshaw) February 04, 2014
Today's the day!!! Who's coming to the @VAOfficialMovie premiere tonight?!? So excited!!!!—
Sarah Hyland (@Sarah_Hyland) February 04, 2014
Cameron Monaghan (@CameronMonaghan) February 04, 2014
Show us what you can do! I hope to see lots if you tonight and on the 7th!!! Xxx—
Dominic Sherwood (@DomSherwood1) February 04, 2014
Dominique Tipper (@Mi55Tipper) February 04, 2014
On way to #VAPremiere !!!!! Finally, it's time!!!!!!—
Sami Gayle (@GayleTweets8) February 05, 2014
Almost premiere time!!!! 😼 http://t.co/HxOQMyGBZ7—
Zoey Deutch (@ZoeyDeutch) February 05, 2014
So excited for the premiere tonight!!—
Lucy Fry (@LucyFry) February 05, 2014
Check out this video of the cast and guests arriving at the premiere.
The red carpet (via @RegalLALive and @WeinsteinFilms)
Arrivals of the cast and crew (via Zimbio)
Check out some group pictures from the night (via Zimbio)
Many lucky fans also had the opportunity to meet the cast and one of them took this really awesome video of Zoey and Danila meeting at the premiere.
Later on, the cast and crew went to the After Party. Check out some photos below (via Zimbio)
Tonight was the first time that many had the opportunity to see the film for the first time and reactions poured in from all over (mostly positive though I’ve caught a few negative ones [three], but hey, can’t deny the existence of the Strigoi, can we). Some tweets are shown below –
@VAOfficialMovie was amazing! Worth seeing for sure—
Jackson Pace (@jacksonpace) February 05, 2014
I went into the Vampire Academy movie with no expectations and I totally loved it.—
Kate Spencer (@katespencer) February 05, 2014
It's not perfect but it totally won me over. Focus is on female friendship with ass-kicking girls & funny moments. Bonus: hot dudes.—
Kate Spencer (@katespencer) February 05, 2014
So Vampire Academy was great! You did so good @CameronMonaghan!! So happy for you.—
Emma Kenney (@EmmaRoseKenney) February 05, 2014
Chelsea Myers (@thechelseamyers) February 05, 2014
Josh Page (@TenorJoshPage) February 05, 2014
I'VE SEEN @VAOfficialMovie! My thoughts: hilarious, action packed, Danila is a god, Zoey was amazing! I want more! Go see it on Feb. 7th!—
Natasha Polis (@Tashapolis) February 05, 2014
jenn/yabooktwins (@jenreadsfiction) February 05, 2014
Vampire Academy was pretty awesome! 👏😏—
Vanessa (@Nessiee__) February 05, 2014
april (@lirpACano) February 05, 2014
Yoooo #VampireAcademy is such a good movie 👌 defiantly recommend watching it + cute guys 😏—
(@PincheMitchy) February 05, 2014
Cast and crew of Vampire @VAOfficialMovie did excellent work because the movie was really good! Great for both fans of book & not fans—
alex (@MortalDhampir) February 05, 2014
Katherine McNamara (@Kat_McNamara) February 05, 2014
Charlotte Gleason (@charworks) February 05, 2014
Greer Grammer (@Greer_Grammer) February 05, 2014
So there we have it folks, the premiere is done and the film releases this Friday in the US/Canada and slowly takes over the world in the next few weeks and months. The movie certainly sounds enjoyable and as a fan who desperately wants the sequels … all I can ask is that you guys watch it on opening weekend – this weekend, preferably Friday night!
Last week was busy, busy, busy and this week is no different because this week is “VAMPIRE ACADEMY PREMIERE AND RELEASE” week! You guys, I’m emotional, this has been a long journey for us fans (five for me and seven for the other fangirl who makes up fangirling central) and the film has technically been three years in the making. Now it’s time to support one of our favourite book series of all time, the author Richelle and the countless cast and crew who have brought it to life. More on that later, first, let’s recap all the news we’ve missed in the past couple of days (because I was too bust fangirling and feeling the feels).
1. First up, there are FOUR video interviews from Screen Slam (held during the press junket last Saturday). There are some amazing interviews with Zoey, Lucy, Sarah each and one with Lucy and Dom <3. Check them out below.
2. Zoey also appeared in a video for Clevver TV and played “Caption It” with host Joslyn Davis. Watch the hilarious video below.
Also check Joslyn Davis’ reaction after watching the film –
JOSLYN DAVIS (@JoslynDavis) February 01, 2014
And while we are at yet, another fan saw the film and LOVED IT! [you guys, I’m so excited but here at Fangirling Central, our wait to watch the film will be late – Feb 21 (India) and April 23 (UK) – say what!]
@VAOfficialMovie After more than 3 years of waiting,I finally watched the movie, and my only thought is: Wow,it was worth the waiting!—
Vampire Academy BG (@vampacademybg) February 03, 2014
@FansofVA i got the impression from the first trailers that the movie will not have the seriousness of the book, however I was proven wrong—
Vampire Academy BG (@vampacademybg) February 03, 2014
3. Over at MTV, Dominic was declared to be the “Man Crush Monday” candidate for this Monday, and we couldn’t agree more!
4. In what will surely become “Vampire Academy Trivia”, it was revealed that Danila Kozlovksy (Dimitri) and Olga Kurylenko (Ms. Kirova) have dubbed for their characters in Vampire Academy for the Russian market.
Lazarevskaya Alex (@kapsya72) February 03, 2014
5. Zoey Deutch articles news!
Beauty High did an article with Zoey discussing the film as well as beauty. Some excerpts from the interview are below.
Beauty High: “Vampire Academy” will be in theaters for Valentine’s Day. Is this a movie you’d recommend bringing your boyfriend to, or would you go with a group of girlfriends?
Zoey Deutch: By no means is it a chick flick. It leans more towards comedy, but the secondary genre is thriller/action, so thirdly it’s a romance. If anything, guys would really enjoy it, it totally appeals to that audience. The title is understandably girly, but it’s guy-centric and funny and they’ll really dig it. Cars blow up and stuff.
Beauty High: When you’re not on set, what’s your go to beauty look?
Zoey Deutch: I’m pretty OCD about facial cleanliness, and I carry Cetaphil wash and moisturizer in my purse everywhere I go. I love a clean face. I like mascara and Vaseline for my lips. But for auditions, when I go to meetings, I try to spruce up a little more. They pound on the makeup at work.
Also check out this beauty product gallery to learn more about the go to beauty products of VA stars Zoey Deutch and Sarah Hyland.
Zoey was also interviewed by OK! Magazine. Check out some excerpts below.
OK!: What drew you to the role of Rose initially?
Zoey Deutch: When you’re an actor you get an email from your agent that says the breakdown of the story, the director, the producers, the budget, the shooting location, when it starts…whatever. The first thing I saw was Mark Waters. I thought, “Oh gosh, he did my favorite movie Mean Girls.” That was the initial thing that struck me this could be really cool. Then I read the sides and the script and I thought, “Wow, this is a never before done, super unique character.”
OK!: Do you feel addicted to the physical training that goes into a role like this?
ZD: I was a dancer; I love yoga, I love hiking. I had never set foot into a gym prior to getting this job. I fell more in love with the kickboxing and martial arts training. That was super fun. I try to act tough and cool and like I know what’s going on and I totally don’t. Having the ability to genuinely defend yourself is something no one can take away from you.
6. Two interviews of Dominic also appeared online. In the first, with “about.com” he talks playing Christian, his clumsiness and working with Mark Waters. Some excerpts are given below.
What was it about the character you found so interesting?
“The 5-year-old in me got to play a vampire. He gets to play with fire and fall in love with the princess and save the day. The little boy in me would have kicked my ass if I hadn’t taken this role.”
Are you clumsy in real life or is it just the set that made you horribly clumsy?
“Oh no, all the time. I’m a horribly clumsy person. Yeah, I’m dropping stuff, falling over all the time. I’m a lot less clumsy when I used to motorbike. When I was on my motorbike or when I’m skateboarding or long-boarding, I’m very elegant. Not ‘very elegant’ – I’m more elegant when I’m doing those sort of things, but when I’m walking down the street I will probably fall down.”
Speaking of life on the set, what was Mark Waters like as a director?
“Amazing. Mark is an actor’s director – that’s the best way of putting him. He knows exactly how to talk to us and to work with us and how to get the best performance out of us and taught us all of these tricks and tips that I can now move on and use the rest of my life, but he’s also the nicest man.”
In an interview at the press junket, published by Kidzworld, Dominic spoke about his school experiences, his interest in Greek mythology and Christian! Some excerpts below –
Kidzworld: At school, were you sporty or nerdy or….?
Dominic: I was musical. I still play a lot of music now because it’s a very cathartic thing for me, personally. “Oh, I’m feeling sad” or “I’m feeling happy” and I’ll sit down and play a song and I’ll feel better. I play guitar, a little piano and I sing a little…my own stuff.
Kidzworld: Now that you’ve played a type of vampire, do you want to play a zombie or anything like that?
Dominic: Something in the supernatural genre? I’m actually very into Greek mythology and always have been. Anything to do with the Gods or Demigods or Hercules or Perseus or Achilles. I’ve always been really, really interested in that sort of stuff. I have Hermes tattoo, the winged messenger. (He shows us his ankle. Yep, wings!).
Kidzworld: What are the aspects of the Christian character that you hope people learn from?
Dominic: The things that I want people to connect to and to learn from aren’t related to him being a vampire. They are related to the normal things that normal people go through in a normal high school. Those are the things that I wanted to learn. If people are watching Christian I’d want them to see that he’s loyal and he loves Lissa and it doesn’t really matter what people think about you. Good things come to those who deserve it and who’ve earned it. Christian really did. He’d earned himself a friend and a soulmate and he found it in Lissa.
7. Two interviews with author Richelle Mead were also published online. In an interview with The Young Folks, Richelle talked about the film, Zoey Deutch, the script as well as the fifth Bloodlines book, Silver Shadows, out later this year. Some excerpts are given below.
On the film –
“I have seen it, and I am in love with it,” Mead answered.On Zoey Deutch –
“My agent and I were talking about her, and when we saw the movie, Zoey was so effortlessly Rose. You don’t even realize it, like I couldn’t believe it. She has that attitude, and she brings it on camera. Off camera, she’s just so spunky; when she’s in the room, people know it. She’s not just spunk and humor, but she’s also a super caring and compassionate young woman. I fondly remember being on set, and she was worried about me being under the lights, I don’t know if you know this, but it’s really hot being on set. It was a long day on set for her, and she was worried about me, making sure I had enough water and I was comfortable. It’s funny because her caring reflects how Rose treats Lissa, and she has that fun attitude that we love, so Zoey was able to play both types well.”
On Daniel Waters writing the script –“[Getting the right screenwriter] was very important to me, and I didn’t know if they were going to get a screenwriter who was so deeply melodramatic that none of Rose’s attitude would carry through. Well, I just loved the script. I was especially relieved because he gets what I did with the book and fully realizes it. The comedy is there, and I know some people are worried about that based on the advertising, but it’s still with the tone of the book. The seriousness is still there. He was very conscientious about that. He understood what I was trying to do, and what I was doing was trying to balance a bunch of different tones. And you know, he carried that through to the script.”
In an interview with Popsugar, Richelle spoke about why fan’s shouldn’t be nervous about the film.
PS: After seeing the movie, what are you most proud of as a writer?
RM: The characters really translated well onto the screen. It’s always my biggest goal as a writer to make characters that, before you fall in love with them, you want to know everything that’s going to happen to them. That’s what hooks me as a reader. I put most of my work into the characters when I write, and I was so thrilled that the actors nailed it.
PS: What is the biggest change they made from the book to the movie?
RM: I can’t pinpoint one big one; it’s mostly a lot of little things throughout. They didn’t radically alter major plot points or change the ending. There is a handful of things where either they had to trim down a scene or if something didn’t play well visually, they may have enhanced it. One big thing that has thrown a few people off is that there are a few flashbacks and dream sequences that have been added on. When people see those in the trailers, they get confused and a little nervous because they think there’s been some radical plot alteration, but really it’s just something to help clarify the movie. This is a movie that you’re going to look at and know instantly what book it’s from. That’s not always the case with adaptations.
8. Speaking of Popsugar, Zoey Deutch and Lucy Fry visited them for an interview. Check out the video below.
And speaking of more video interviews, check out this one of Zoey, Lucy and Dominic with Houston Style Magazine.
Earlier yesterday, Zoey appeared on “Good Day LA” where compliments from the host made her hide in embarrassment!
9. Huffington Post published an article written by Mark Waters explaning why Vampire Academy is different to any other Young Adult book to movie adaptation that have hit the silver screen. Be sure to check it out.
10. Yesterday (Monday, Feb 3) kicked off the film’s release week with a meet and greet in Los Angeles as well as a party to launch the music soundtrack which was attended by – Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry, Danila Kozlovsky, Dominic Sherwood, Cameron Monaghan, Sami Gayle, Ashley Charles and Dominique Tipper, as well as the director Mark Waters, writer Daniel Waters and the producers. And we have the pictures!!!
First up, the meet and greet at The Grove in LA was attended by Zoey, Lucy, Dom, Cameron and Sami. Check out more photos at Fans of Vampire Academy.
Then the most adorable thing happened when Lucy started playing with a little dog and Zoey took the video. Watch it below –
Later, the party started at LURE nightclub and ROCKED on as Iggy Azalea (one of the contributing artists on the film’s soundtrack) took the stage and sang her hit numbers. Check out more photos at Fans of Vampire Academy.
Official VA Movie (@OfficialVAMovie) February 01, 2014
This roundup brings you more interviews, Q and As with the cast, a mall party and TWO new awesome TV spots!
1. First up, listen to the first track from the Vampire Academy Soundtrack, Jaymes Bullet’s “In Your Grave” was released a few hours ago and sounds great! The version on SoundCloud is explicit, but there will be a clean version on the soundtrack.
2. Next up, listen to the radio interview of Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry and Dominic Sherwood on Breathe Radio. The over 20 minute long chat with the gang gave us new insights about them and the film. Talking about fan reactions, Zoey said it excited her that there were so many people who are so passionate about the source material and it is alright for them to voice their opinions, but it wouldn’t change the way she worked or what she has done in the film. On whether they Googled themselves, Dom said that when you find 100 positive comments and one negative comment, the negative one makes him think “oh I’m not doing a good job” and so he only does it once in a blue moon. Lucy said she was nervous and excited for the film and Dom said they were all signed to do sequels (unless the filmmakers wouldn’t want them anymore – pfft, as if).
Talking about vampire fatigue, Lucy explained that this story was unlike anything else seen before and no humans are involved (not directly as Zoey mentioned the human feeder programme) with this world, which is just a fun magical world and there is no mystery of exploration because the characters are already embedded as Dominic added.
The talk show host (a guy) also mentioned that because of the humour in the trailer, a guy would be more inclined to see this and Zoey agreed adding that too much expositional dialogue in young adult films can be exhausting and that the embedded humour in the film was her favourite part. Lucy added that her boyfriend was reluctant to watch the film saying it was aimed at teen girls and about vampires but he actually loved the film. He had fun watching it and was really surprised, adding that he wasn’t expecting to like it, but loved it.
In the final segment, there was a laugh riot as Dominic pronounced “Twitter” in an English accent when asked about his social media and Zoey said she loved that (also mentioning her go to social media was Instagram). Lucy was the cutest when she confessed she didn’t know what her Twitter username was, so Dominic announced it for her. (For a full roundup of the cast/crew on social media, check out our Vampire Academy page). (Photos from Straight Male Friend‘s Facebook page).
3. The cast then headed to Facebook headquarters (and also got their facebook accounts verified – Zoey, Dominic, Lucy) where they participated in a Q&A with fans on the Vampire Academy Movie page. You can read the Q&A on Fans of Vampire Academy and/or Vampire Academy India. Some of our favourite answers by the cast are given below (photos from the official movie page and Zoey and Lucy’s instagrams) –
Q. Hey What is your best memory from the experience on Vampire Academy?
Dominic: The people i have met and the relationships that i have developed
Zoey: The people i have met and the relationships that i have developed
Lucy: Same, all the amazing people. Cast and Crew. It was so fun. And being in England. It was such a treat to be in London. The people for sure and it was such a treat to be in london… amazing place
Q. Hey guys! How exciting has this week been? Did it get overwhelming or too daunting at any point!?
Dominic: Its very exciting and I’m trying not to let it get to me! (as much as possible)
Lucy: It is really exciting- there is so much happening that it does feel quite overwhelming but in a way that is full of new ideas and great new experiences . My favorite thing is meeting the fans!
Q. What’s your favorite part of the movie? and is there going to be a 2nd one/ whole movie series with the books
Dominic: I love the ending
Lucy: I love…. the whole thing.
Q. What was each of your favourite scenes
Dominic: The attic scenes
Lucy: The opening scene
Q. What was the hardest part about filming this movie?
Dominic: The middle….(you will know when you see it)
Lucy: It was probably the torture scene… ouchies
Q. Is your movie staying real to the book?
Dominic: As much as we can, its pretty close yeh
Lucy: yes it is, but be prepared to enjoy the book in a new life as a film!
Q. Who’s the funniest cast member
4. Dominic Sherwood’s interview with Teen and Lucy Fry’s interview with Life is Good Everyday also appeared online. Further, Richelle Mead’s exclusive interview with Fangirlish was also published where she talked about the film and the MTV Movie Brawl. Some excerpts and snippets from these interviews are given below, but do to check out the full interviews above.
Dominic for TEEN
On director Mark Waters
“It’s such a pleasure to work with Mark. I never had a day where it seemed stressful. I knew what was happening, and I knew we were working toward deadlines, and Mark was under some stress, but he never pressured us… It was a really, really nice relationship.”
On his character, Christian Ozera
“He’s had a terrible upbringing because his parents [are] the worst things that are known in vampire culture; [they’ve done] the worst thing that they could possibly do. So all the people at school — I think it would be kind of like [at] any school, if your parents do something that’s seen as criminal or immoral or whatever, he’s neglected, and he’s pushed to one side, and he’s segregated and bullied by all the kids at school, so he ends up very much on his own; he turns to humor and sarcasm and that’s how he kind of defends himself.”
On his appearance in Vampire Academy
“My eyes are different colors normally, in reality. Christian and the entire Ozera family have these piercing, ice blue eyes. Mark wanted my eyes as is. I did have to watch what I [ate]… a little. Christian’s, like, skinny. We weren’t allowed out in the sun when we were filming, which was over the summer, so that was difficult.”
Which of the elements would he want in real life?
“It’d be fire, hands down.”
Lucy for Life is Good Everyday
Q: Did you do anything special to prepare for the film?
A: Lots of voice training to get my English accent perfect and yoga to get my princess posture! I also did lots of training with a physical theatre coach to find ways to physically manifest the pain Lissa feels over the loss of her parents.
Q: Friendship is the overshadowing theme in the film. How was it filming with a strong female cast?
A: Filming was amazing! We all got along really well and had a natural connection from the start. What really drew me to this film in the first place were the strong female roles- it is a liberating story for women.
Q: Why should people go see this film?
A: Because they will have lots of fun! It’s got action, comedy, romance and doesn’t take itself too seriously.
Q: This movie comes out close to Valentine’s Day. Do you have any plans this year?
A: I am not that really into Valentine’s Day as a romantic thing. I believe every day you should be romantic. At my high school we actually had a celebration as friends every year. I am hoping a lot of girls go to see this film on Valentine’s Day and celebrate their friendships.
Richelle Mead for Fangirlish
Q. There have been quite a few clips and stills that have been released. What has been the general feedback on social media and what do you think of them?
Richelle: I am a huge fan of everything that I have seen. I have read the script and I have seen an early cut of the movie. I have the big picture to look at. To me, it is very true to it and I think people are starting to feel that way the more they see actual footage from the movie.
What scene are you most excited to see on the big screen?
Richelle: I am most excited about the ending. Endings are my favorite part to write of the book. It’s what everything is building towards – all the clues, all the mysteries. It’s when everything comes together for me as a writer.
On the MTV Movie Brawl –
Richelle: It is really incredible to see what they do. It’s exactly what you said, they have hit out some really big titles. I don’t think readers have the same understanding of these fandoms and readership as we do on the publishing side. We see sales numbers. We know who is big and who is not. Vampire Academy has a huge following, but it really is dwarfed by some of these other ones.
It’s just incredible that they do this – that they form friendships with each other in different places, just for the sake of seeing this book that they love put up on this altar. It’s incredible.
5. Two NEW TV spots, “Humanity” and “Extraordinary” were released last night in the run up to the film’s release with new scenes and some strange new things that (are not from the book) that might be part of dream sequences. All in all, these videos are revving up our excitement for the film.
“We are the protectors, the guardians of humanity.” – Rose
“This where the outcast losers hang out?” – Rose
“I don’t bite, well not literally.” – Christian
“We learn fun new ways to maim and kill.” – Rose
6. The three, Zoey, Dom and Lucy then attended a mall Meet and Greet with fans in San Fransisco as well as a book signing at Barnes and Noble. They also did a press conference photo shoot. Some of the pictures are below and for more click on the links above.
There you have it … all the updates from yesterday with a whole lot more to come this weekend with the press conference scheduled in Los Angeles and a concert with singer Iggy Azalea and the cast of the film. Stay tuned.
And the promotions continue. The cast did a lot of interviews yesterday and we even got a first look at the sketches of the film’s costume designer, Ruth Myers. Check out all the interviews, videos and articles below.
1. While still in New York yesterday (Thursday, January 30) Sarah Hyland started off with an appearance on Canadian show BT Vancouver to promote the film and spoke about how this film showcases themes of female empowerment and is not about damsels in distress. Watch the interview below –
2. Sarah also appeared on The Morning Show where she spoke about the film, particularly training for the character and how her Vampire Academy character is so different from the Modern Family one. Check out the interview below –
3. Sarah also visited the offices of fashion and lifestyle magazines, Marie Claire and Vanity Fair for promoting the film.
4. Over in Texas, Zoey, Lucy and Dominic appeared on Great Day Houston, where the host, Deborah, fielded questions and the cast replied with fun answers. Watch the interview below –
On the obsession with vampires:
Lucy: I think there has been an obsession with vampires for centuries and its just changing with what the society is going through that time so we’ve gone from ”I want to suck your blood” to pop, teenage vampires who just go to school and want a normal life.”
On the film:
Dominic: It’s the dichotomy of normal teenagers going to a normal high school and the surreal element of the battle for good and evil and the supernatural.
Zoey: Acting is my passion, it is what i want to do forever, and also I have no other skills.
Dominic: [speaking about the spark that ignited a passion for acting] I used to watch a lot of Disney films and I used to watch Prince Charming and him getting the girl and I was like that’s what I want to be when I grow up.
On the film:
Dominic: I just saw it yesterday, they sent it to my hotel room but I’m one of the worst people, because I watch myself and go [groans] “I look like that”, “I sound funny”, “I was doing that with my face”, “I just look terrible”. So I just watched the entire movie and came out with a poor sense of self esteem. [Co-stars] are great, it’s amazing to see Sarah and Cameron and all the others, because I only had scenes with [Lucy and Zoey] and not with anyone else, so to see all the other guys and all the bits that I had actually read in the script and actually have them put them up on its feet is actually really cool and good to see.
Zoey: I have seen it and it is such a fun film, it’s not what people expect it to be and it’s really a good date movie. There is something for the guys, there’s action, it’s sexy, it’s funny … I really think it has something for everybody … and it’s a fun film.
Lucy: Yeah it’s a movie you go to see to have fun and the comedy in it plays really well juxtaposed with the kind of darkness of the academy and I think that’s kind of one of the really interesting things about it, it’s such a dark setting and it’s got this mystery of vampires in this historical school then it’s so light and it’s got this energy bouncing off of each other and it’s got this momentum and I think it’s the kind of film you go and see and it’s got the perfect mixture of all the elements of action and comedy and drama.
Check out some of these screen caps below –
5. Zoey then headed over for an interview on the airwaves with radio channel 99.7 [NOW!]. Listen to her interview below –
When asked if she was a badass, Zoey said “I’m definitely not. There was a lot of training, actually three and a half months of gym, kickboxing, martial arts training and stunt choreography but afterwards i definitely felt prepared that I had something to work.” On Rose, Zoey described her as strong and added, “Emotionally I find strength in her vulnerability, in her loyalty to her best friend, in her ability to make mistakes, acknowledge them and move forward.” She also added, “Lucy and I, strangely enough, have a very similar relationship in real life to the relationship in the film.” Make sure you hear the full interview above.
6. Ruth Myers, the costume designer for Vampire Academy, revealed her sketches for Rose’s training outfit, the dance dress as well as Dimitri’s duster. She also shared her costume making process from sketch to reality. Check out the article on E! Online and the photos below –
7. Tearaway NZ published an interview with author Richelle Mead where she talked about creating the world of Vampire Academy, writing from the point of view of Sydney in Bloodlines as well as her thoughts on the movie. Check out a few of her answers below, and make sure to read the full interview at the link given above.
Why vampires? What made you decide to write about vampires specifically?
Richelle: Before I wrote Vampire Academy, I’d already started two adult series, one about demons and one about fairies. I needed a new paranormal creature to work with for my teen series, and vampires fit the bill, especially after I’d studied Eastern European folklore at college. I’d learned some great Romanian vampire myths that I liked, so I decided to try working them into a series. At the time this was happening, vampires hadn’t hit their current phase of popularity, so I had no idea what I was getting into. It was very lucky timing.
What do you think of the movie being made of Vampire Academy? Any complaints or disappointments? Are you excited and have you been involved much in it?
Richelle: The movie’s been a lot of fun, and overall, I’m really pleased with it. My role has mostly been advisory, which is pretty normal for authors. I’m a book expert, and the movie people are movie experts, so I’m happy letting them do their jobs. It’s great that they do consult with me, though, and I’ve been asked questions about costumes or if certain changes will affect future books. Some authors never get asked that, so I’m super grateful they bring my opinion in. Books and movies are very different mediums, so changes are inevitable, but we’re pretty lucky in that most changes that have been made are small and are for the sake of time or to make something more interesting on the screen. All the main plot points are still there. And I can’t say enough about how wonderful the cast is. They look like their characters, but more importantly, they really understand their characters. In fact, some of them have the same personalities in real life! It’s been amazing watching them bring these roles to life and see how much they really love being part of the movie.
8. Lucy Fry did an interview on The Better Show, where she talked about getting the part in Vampire Academy, Mark Waters attention to detail, hiding from the sun to shoot as a pale Moroi as well as her experience on her upcoming film Now Add Honey with Portia de Rossi where she, an Australian, plays an American girl trying to adjust to life in Australia. Watch the interview below –
9. A new TV Spot was seen and includes a couple of new scenes and extended dialogue, especially Rose’s “To get to her, you’ll have to go through me.” Watch it below and see if you can spot something new!
10. Another really fun article with Zoey and Lucy at Buzzfeed headquarters has us laughing in splits! We learnt some great things about these two, some of which are listed below –
How did you celebrate getting your roles?
LF: I went to Pinkberry with my friends.
ZD: I’m very boring. I went out to dinner with my family.
If you had to give a superlative to Danila Kozlovsky what would it be?
LF: Best man (laughs).
11. Information about the world premiere of the film on February 4 has appeared thanks to Gossipgyal on Twitter, and according to her there will be no live stream of the premiere. The following are the details for the premiere –
‘Vampire Academy’ LA Premiere info:
WHO is attending:
VAMPIRE ACADEMY cast including Sarah Hyland, Zoey Deutch, Olga Kurylenko, Lucy Fry, Sami Gayle, Dominic Sherwood, Cameron Monaghan, Joely Richardson, Danila Kozlovsky, Ashley Charles, director Mark Waters, writer Daniel Waters (and more to be announced)!
WHEN: Tuesday, February 4th
PRESS CHECK-IN: 5:30 PM
ARRIVALS: 6:30 PM
SCREENING: 7:30 PM
WHERE: Regal Cinemas L.A. Live Stadium 14, 1000 W Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90015
Stay tuned, there are more interviews with Sami, Sarah, Zoey, Lucy and Dom coming up as well as the San Francisco Mall Party at Westfield Center. Don’t forget to check our Vampire Academy page for links to all the news and events taking place in the lead up to the film’s release.
The Vampire Academy fandom has been having a crazy, busy week, and we are still seven days away from the release of the film. If you’ve been following all our coverage, then you’ve surely seen the crazy busy first part to this and the fact that seven clips from the film landed yesterday! More publicity and promotional stuff follow below! Also check out our Vampire Academy page and bookmark – we’ll be posting all the updates there.
1. On Tuesday, Zoey Deutch was at the TEEN headquarters. Check out this awesome cute video of hers with quotes from the film.
“Looks like Aaron’s tried to replace you with a keychain version.” – Rose
“So tough and one of a kind, yet still a girl.” – Victor
“This is insane … insanely hot. What are we doing?” – Dimitri
2. On Wednesday, Sarah Hyland hopped onto a plane to New York and appeared on the Good Morning America show where she talked about the film and I must add, she met John Stamos, Uncle Jesse from Full House.
3. After GMA, Sarah hopped over to “Live with Kelly and Michael” where she spoke about her experience at the Grammy Awards, winning the SAG for Modern Family and Vampire Academy. They showed the clip of her character, Natalie, licking the wall and Sarah said it was a mixture of corn starch and syrup, but most importantly, it was edible and non-toxic. Check out the segment below –
4. Sarah has been doing a whole lot of press for the film, check out her red carpet interviews from last Sunday’s Grammy awards.
5. This really cute interview with Zoey and Lucy at the Buzzfeed office (on Monday) was published yesterday where both were quizzed about the other and the result was ADORBS. Check it out here!
Some of our favourites –
Q. What is Zoey’s favourite colour?
Lucy’s guess: Lime green but that’s a lie, she doesn’t have one.
Zoey’s answer: Not pale green! Don’t know.
LF: You lied!
ZD: No, I said it’s not pale green, don’t know.
Q. What is Lucy’s pet peeve?
Zoey’s guess: Tickling chin.
Lucy’s answer: Touching my face.
ZD: OH I GOT IT I GOT IT!
Q. What is Lucy’s Spirit animal?
Zoey’s guess: Dolphin.
Lucy’s answer: Dolphin.
ZD: Oh my god!
LF: That’s pretty good.
5. The VA Movie Mall Party event took place in Houston yesterday and in attendance were Zoey, Lucy and Dominic. Fans got makeovers done and took home swag bags with makeup and goodies in addition to meeting the stars! Check out more photos on Fans of Vampire Academy and Just Jared Jr.
6. Before the Mall Party, Red Carpet Ending did an interview with Zoey, Lucy and Dominic. They spoke about their reactions on getting the part, how they got into the skin of their characters and all of them agreed that Danila was the funniest guy on set! Watch the interview below –
7. Later on, the three went to a signing at Barnes and Noble bookstore. You can read a fan’s experience right here on Tumblr. and check out the photos on Fans of Vampire Academy! Check out a fan video below –
8. Sami Gayle‘s interview with We Got This Covered popped up which you can check out here! She said she liked the whole spur off the moment thing with the release date being pushed up and it was exciting to start promotions on the film. She also mentioned that she is off to Los Angeles to start with the film publicity. She also spoke about her Skype auditions and her love for Mean Girls. Be sure to watch the video.
9. If you are looking to refresh your memory or just want to know what Vampire Academy is about, check out this article from Yahoo! Lifestyle New Zealand.
10. Cast promo portraits have also popped up with Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry and Sami Gayle. The girls look so pretty. You can check out all the photographs on Fans of Vampire Academy.
11. Finally, the Vampire Academy Soundtrack was made available for pre-order on the US iTunes stores and includes an additional song – Goldfrapp’s Felt Mountain. So be sure to get your digital copy as well!
There is more great stuff coming up guys, mall parties in San Francisco, LA and New Jersey and of course … the world premiere at Regal Cinemas in Los Angeles on February 4! So be sure to check back with us for our extensive coverage!
ERMAGAD! The trailer for The Fault in our Stars, after being leaked earlier this week, is finally here in all its HD glory, though still a little earlier than previously anticipated. Watch it below and keep a tissue box handy. Also, spoilers ahead [seriously, read the book].
After a long wait, as the fans grew increasingly impatient and John Green became quite vocal about his situation …
John Green (@realjohngreen) January 29, 2014
Okay now REALLY SOON. (Like, 10 minutes.) #tfios—
John Green (@realjohngreen) January 29, 2014
John Green (@realjohngreen) January 29, 2014
… the trailer finally made it’s debut and became a worldwide trending topic!
Some screencaps from the trailer, which was a full 2 minutes and 30 seconds heart warming and heart breaking at the same time!
So many of these scenes are just like what we imagined. The best part is that we can really recognise these scenes from the book and as book fans, what more do we want? John Green’s book was full of awesome quotes and the trailer was no different.
Hazel’s Mom: “Hey, make some friends.”
Hazel [after bumping into Augustus]: “Sorry.”
Augustus/Gus [cheekily smiling]: “My bad.”
Hazel: [smiles like a fangirl].
Gus: “My fears? Oblivion.”
Gus: “What’s your name?”
Gus: “What’s your full name?”
Hazel: “Hazel Grace Lancaster. Why are you staring at me?”
Gus: “Cos you’re beautiful.”
Hazel: [blushes like a fangirl].
Gus: “I hope you realise, that you trying to keep your distance from me, in no way lessens my affection for you.”
Hazel: “Gus I’m a grenade …
“… One day I’m going to blow up … and I’m going to obliterate everything in my wake … “
” … And i don’t want to hurt you.”
Gus: “I reject that.”
Gus: “You don’t get to choose who you hurt in this world but you do have a say in who hurts you.”
Gus: “I’m in love with you Hazel Grace, and I know that love is just a shout into the void
and that oblivion is inevitable … and I’m in love with you.”
[It’s impossible not to get teary after that]
Hazel: “We are a hot mess.”
Isaac: “Are you angry?”
Hazel: “So angry.”
[You guys … their dresses, it looks like THAT scene].
Gus: “You need to break something.”
[Also … Nat Wolf is killing it as Isaac]
Hazel: “He gave me a forever within the numbered days
and I can’t tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity.”
If we are crying … you should be crying too.
NO I AM NOT OKAY!
Here is the song used in the trailer, OneRepublic’s “What You Wanted”. Listen to it while I gather my thoughts and feels.
We love the look of the film and especially LOVE that they’ve kept so many lines from the book. Shailene Woodley nails Hazel’s inner turmoil and attitude but the only thing I’m still wondering about her performance is if she made Hazel into an extrovert. At least in my head, Hazel was an introvert and a little shy and introverts don’t sit like this –
Ansel Elgort certainly captures the charm and cuteness that is Augustus Waters and does pull off the teenage look in most scenes. But in some scenes, the two leads do look a little older than your average teenagers. Don’t mind me, guys … I’m pretty sure I will love the film and their performances. However, someone who has stolen the show is Nat Wolf as Isaac especially in the egg throwing scene. Laura Dern and Sam Trammell as Hazel’s parents, play the part of her heartbroken parents well. Notably missing in the trailer are references to Peter van Houten (played by William Dafoe) and Gus’ cigarette metaphor, which we are dying to see. All in all, I’d be lying if I said that the trailer didn’t tug at my heart strings and water my nose. I’d be lying a lot! The film releases on June 6, 2014 and as a parting gift, we’ll give you one for the road –
Gus: “It’s a good life, Hazel Grace.”
… and another one for tumblr … we made it especially for you!