Vampire Academy has now premiered and been shown to an audience and they have loved it, but promos and publicity still continue as we gear up for the Friday release.
1. First up, three videos from ScreenSlam as they interview Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry and Sarah Hyland.
2. Next up, check out this interview of Danila Kozlovsky by The Hollywood Reporter. Aside from the fact that Danila is 28 and not 32 as reported in the article, the interview is one of Danila’s firsts in Hollywood media where he shares his thoughts on his character Dimitri, on Russian cinema and working in the west. Some excerpts are given below –
THR: How would you describe your first English-language role?
Danila: I would like to take a moment to thank Richelle Mead for writing such a great, interesting character as Dimitri. It is very important for me to represent my country in this movie, as a man who loves, who has a good sense of humor, is passionate, and is a very interesting person — a really good guy. Dimitri has been living in America for a long time and speaks with a slight Russian accent. He is a very reliable and, at the same time, a quite mysterious person. He listens to old music and reads cowboy books. He is a man who people say who has old-fashioned values. I really enjoyed playing him. This is not the typical Russian stereotype role where guys are doing stupid or bad things.
THR: Where you would like to be in five or ten years?
Danila: I hope to be continuing to work in my current profession. I am a very lucky person because I have a job that I love doing everyday.
3. Olga Kurylenko appeared on Conan O’Brien and talked a little about the changes made to the character of Headmistress Kirova, who she added, hates kids and would like to torture them. A clip from the film was shown featuring the scene when Dimitri brings back Lissa and Rose to the Academy and puts them in front of Kirova. OMGAD … Danila speaking …. it’s HOT!
4. Sarah Hyland‘s interview with OK! Magazine has been published and she talks about how she spent £ 3000 in room service in London while filming the movie. Read some of the excerpts below and check out the interview.
OK!: How did you adjust to the nighttime shooting schedule?
SH: I’m a night owl so it wasn’t the worst thing in the world. The worst thing in the world was that by the time we got off work everything restaurant was closed and the only thing I had, because I didn’t have a kitchen or anything like that in my hotel room, was room service. By the time I left London I had a ₤3,000 bill for room service. And the sun came up at 4 AM. I can’t wrap my brain around it. That’s what messed me up. Not the filming at night, the sun coming up so early. And it sets at like 10 PM.
OK!: Were you able to explore London at all?
SH: I did the touristy things. I saw the London Eye and we lived near Buckingham Palace and Big Ben so that I was able to see really easily. A food place I really loved was Byron Burger. I miss it. I want it to come to the States.
OK!: Having the experience of training physically for this role, do you feel almost addicted to it now? Do you want to do it again?
SH: I really want to do it again but nothing that I’m up for right now is like that. I want to get in shape again and have a reason instead of being at home and working out because clearly I’m going to watch TV and eat pizza than go work out.
5. Lucy Fry had this really cute interview with The Insider where she talked about enjoying biting people and using compulsion as a vampire trick. Watch the video below.
6. In an interview with Movies.com, Zoey Deutch and Lucy Fry revealed everything that you need to know about Vampire Academy before you watch the film. It’s a quite a lengthy interview, filled with great, fun stuff, make sure you read it on the website. Some excerpts are given below.
Nailing the tone was vital for Vampire Academy. “The most important part of this movie is that the tone stayed consistent because that’s what I was most worried about. When you read the script, the humor and the dialogue is so broad and so wordy that if it were to step back in certain scenes, if it were to get a little nervous, like if [director] Mark [Waters] had trepidations about some of the interactions because it felt too ridiculous, the movie would not have worked. You would feel like you’re seeing six different movies. It needed to be specifically that way, so all those crazy lines that you’re like, ‘Where did [writer] Dan [Waters] come up with that?’ That’s in that world and for me as a teenager, a lot of those things I totally would say. I took out some things here and there, but for the most part, we stayed pretty true to Dan’s words.” – Zoey Deutch
Oscar the cat gets a meatier role in the movie and Fry was thrilled about the additional cuddle time. “It was the sweetest, sweetest thing, Sydney. It was just the cuddliest cat. There were two cats actually that were playing Oscar. One of them was the one that was really well trained and knew how to stay and walk and everything, and then there was the one that just loved being cuddled and most of the scenes we were doing cuddling scenes so I got to just snuggle this cat the whole time and it was so good for me because I’d been missing my dog a lot and it’s like animal therapy. It just feels so much better. Every day that Oscar was needed I was just so happy.” – Lucy Fry [omg you guys, Sydney is in VAMovie =P]
Is Lucy ready for Frostbite’s unprecedented threesome? “Well, I like that it’s from Rose’s perspective and that she gets out of there before anything too intense happens. I guess I haven’t ever done that before so it would take a lot of courage, but, you know, if we get to do a second film, then I would just be so excited for the film and you do what you’ve gotta do.” – Lucy Fry
Can Zoey ski? “[Laughs] No! Oh, I have an awful skiing story that I’m not gonna tell now, but no, I can’t ski! I’m the worst skier pretty much.” – Zoey Deutch
7. A hilarious video on Entertainment Tonight finds the VA cast members quizzing each other on which vampire they would like to be bitten by to mean girl high school stories. Dominic revealed he would prefer Bella over Elena because she would be more gentle, while Lucy and Sarah went for Ian Somerhalder’s Damon over Edward Cullen. Zoey was given a choice between Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp and chose both. Watch the video below –
8. Check out all these fashion articles about all the pretty dresses worn at the Premiere – Sugarscape and The Fashion Court. Zoey wore Monique Lhullier, Sarah wore Zac Posen, Olga was dressed in Dior and Sami wore a Miu Miu dress.
9. All the video interviews from the premiere are now starting to appear. Check out the videos on YouTube at Silver Screen PR, KatTales TV and CelebrityChaos. You can also check out a collection of photos and videos on Fans of Vampire Academy.
Here’s a video of Danila on the red carpet –
10. More videos from ScreenSlam at the premiere have been added to the playlist below. Interviews by Zoey, Lucy, Danila, Dominic, Sarah, Cameron, Sami, Ashley, Olga, Joely and screenwriter Dan Waters as well as BTS look at the red carpet.
Only a couple more days left folks, hang in and we’ll be there soon!
The Cast of #VAMovie (via @RegalLALive)
The worldwide premiere for Vampire Academy took place earlier today (February 4) and unfortunately there was no live telecast. But the Internet is not without it’s perks folks … and with all the live tweeting and photos popping up, we were all but caught up. Here is our coverage with tweets and photos.
The day started off with the cast tweeting about the premiere
Harry Bradshaw (@HarryBradshaw) February 04, 2014
Today's the day!!! Who's coming to the @VAOfficialMovie premiere tonight?!? So excited!!!!—
Sarah Hyland (@Sarah_Hyland) February 04, 2014
Cameron Monaghan (@CameronMonaghan) February 04, 2014
Show us what you can do! I hope to see lots if you tonight and on the 7th!!! Xxx—
Dominic Sherwood (@DomSherwood1) February 04, 2014
Dominique Tipper (@Mi55Tipper) February 04, 2014
On way to #VAPremiere !!!!! Finally, it's time!!!!!!—
Sami Gayle (@GayleTweets8) February 05, 2014
Almost premiere time!!!! 😼 http://t.co/HxOQMyGBZ7—
Zoey Deutch (@ZoeyDeutch) February 05, 2014
So excited for the premiere tonight!!—
Lucy Fry (@LucyFry) February 05, 2014
Check out this video of the cast and guests arriving at the premiere.
The red carpet (via @RegalLALive and @WeinsteinFilms)
Arrivals of the cast and crew (via Zimbio)
Check out some group pictures from the night (via Zimbio)
Many lucky fans also had the opportunity to meet the cast and one of them took this really awesome video of Zoey and Danila meeting at the premiere.
Later on, the cast and crew went to the After Party. Check out some photos below (via Zimbio)
Tonight was the first time that many had the opportunity to see the film for the first time and reactions poured in from all over (mostly positive though I’ve caught a few negative ones [three], but hey, can’t deny the existence of the Strigoi, can we). Some tweets are shown below –
@VAOfficialMovie was amazing! Worth seeing for sure—
Jackson Pace (@jacksonpace) February 05, 2014
I went into the Vampire Academy movie with no expectations and I totally loved it.—
Kate Spencer (@katespencer) February 05, 2014
It's not perfect but it totally won me over. Focus is on female friendship with ass-kicking girls & funny moments. Bonus: hot dudes.—
Kate Spencer (@katespencer) February 05, 2014
So Vampire Academy was great! You did so good @CameronMonaghan!! So happy for you.—
Emma Kenney (@EmmaRoseKenney) February 05, 2014
Chelsea Myers (@thechelseamyers) February 05, 2014
Josh Page (@TenorJoshPage) February 05, 2014
I'VE SEEN @VAOfficialMovie! My thoughts: hilarious, action packed, Danila is a god, Zoey was amazing! I want more! Go see it on Feb. 7th!—
Natasha Polis (@Tashapolis) February 05, 2014
jenn/yabooktwins (@jenreadsfiction) February 05, 2014
Vampire Academy was pretty awesome! 👏😏—
Vanessa (@Nessiee__) February 05, 2014
april (@lirpACano) February 05, 2014
Yoooo #VampireAcademy is such a good movie 👌 defiantly recommend watching it + cute guys 😏—
(@PincheMitchy) February 05, 2014
Cast and crew of Vampire @VAOfficialMovie did excellent work because the movie was really good! Great for both fans of book & not fans—
alex (@MortalDhampir) February 05, 2014
Katherine McNamara (@Kat_McNamara) February 05, 2014
Charlotte Gleason (@charworks) February 05, 2014
Greer Grammer (@Greer_Grammer) February 05, 2014
So there we have it folks, the premiere is done and the film releases this Friday in the US/Canada and slowly takes over the world in the next few weeks and months. The movie certainly sounds enjoyable and as a fan who desperately wants the sequels … all I can ask is that you guys watch it on opening weekend – this weekend, preferably Friday night!
The traditional red carpet is nowadays passed over for different colours! A few days ago we saw the blue (or turquoise) carpet at the Teen Choice Awards and last night, Los Angeles witnessed the premiere of “The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones” on the black carpet!
In attendance were director Harald Zwart, author Cassandra Clare and cast members Jamie Campbell Bower, Lily Collins, Rob Sheehan, Kevin Zegers, Godfrey Gao, Aidan Turner and Jared Harris among others!
You can view more pictures from the premiere here.
The film officially releases in theatres on August 21, and the camera starts rolling for the second adaptation “City of Ashes” later this year in the fall! Exciting times ahead Shadowhunters!
More information about the cast and release dates from around the world can be found on the film’s IMDB page.
- Pictures: The Mortal Instruments:City Of Bones LA Premiere! (shelftoscreen.com)
- Lily Collins & Jamie Campbell Bower: ‘City of Bones’ Premiere! (justjared.com)
- ‘The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones’ premieres on a L.A. black carpet (Photos) (examiner.com)
- ‘Mortal Instruments’ fans camp, prepare for L.A. premiere tonight (examiner.com)