Last week was busy, busy, busy and this week is no different because this week is “VAMPIRE ACADEMY PREMIERE AND RELEASE” week! You guys, I’m emotional, this has been a long journey for us fans (five for me and seven for the other fangirl who makes up fangirling central) and the film has technically been three years in the making. Now it’s time to support one of our favourite book series of all time, the author Richelle and the countless cast and crew who have brought it to life. More on that later, first, let’s recap all the news we’ve missed in the past couple of days (because I was too bust fangirling and feeling the feels).
1. First up, there are FOUR video interviews from Screen Slam (held during the press junket last Saturday). There are some amazing interviews with Zoey, Lucy, Sarah each and one with Lucy and Dom <3. Check them out below.
2. Zoey also appeared in a video for Clevver TV and played “Caption It” with host Joslyn Davis. Watch the hilarious video below.
Also check Joslyn Davis’ reaction after watching the film –
JOSLYN DAVIS (@JoslynDavis) February 01, 2014
And while we are at yet, another fan saw the film and LOVED IT! [you guys, I’m so excited but here at Fangirling Central, our wait to watch the film will be late – Feb 21 (India) and April 23 (UK) – say what!]
@VAOfficialMovie After more than 3 years of waiting,I finally watched the movie, and my only thought is: Wow,it was worth the waiting!—
Vampire Academy BG (@vampacademybg) February 03, 2014
@FansofVA i got the impression from the first trailers that the movie will not have the seriousness of the book, however I was proven wrong—
Vampire Academy BG (@vampacademybg) February 03, 2014
3. Over at MTV, Dominic was declared to be the “Man Crush Monday” candidate for this Monday, and we couldn’t agree more!
4. In what will surely become “Vampire Academy Trivia”, it was revealed that Danila Kozlovksy (Dimitri) and Olga Kurylenko (Ms. Kirova) have dubbed for their characters in Vampire Academy for the Russian market.
Lazarevskaya Alex (@kapsya72) February 03, 2014
5. Zoey Deutch articles news!
Beauty High did an article with Zoey discussing the film as well as beauty. Some excerpts from the interview are below.
Beauty High: “Vampire Academy” will be in theaters for Valentine’s Day. Is this a movie you’d recommend bringing your boyfriend to, or would you go with a group of girlfriends?
Zoey Deutch: By no means is it a chick flick. It leans more towards comedy, but the secondary genre is thriller/action, so thirdly it’s a romance. If anything, guys would really enjoy it, it totally appeals to that audience. The title is understandably girly, but it’s guy-centric and funny and they’ll really dig it. Cars blow up and stuff.
Beauty High: When you’re not on set, what’s your go to beauty look?
Zoey Deutch: I’m pretty OCD about facial cleanliness, and I carry Cetaphil wash and moisturizer in my purse everywhere I go. I love a clean face. I like mascara and Vaseline for my lips. But for auditions, when I go to meetings, I try to spruce up a little more. They pound on the makeup at work.
Also check out this beauty product gallery to learn more about the go to beauty products of VA stars Zoey Deutch and Sarah Hyland.
Zoey was also interviewed by OK! Magazine. Check out some excerpts below.
OK!: What drew you to the role of Rose initially?
Zoey Deutch: When you’re an actor you get an email from your agent that says the breakdown of the story, the director, the producers, the budget, the shooting location, when it starts…whatever. The first thing I saw was Mark Waters. I thought, “Oh gosh, he did my favorite movie Mean Girls.” That was the initial thing that struck me this could be really cool. Then I read the sides and the script and I thought, “Wow, this is a never before done, super unique character.”
OK!: Do you feel addicted to the physical training that goes into a role like this?
ZD: I was a dancer; I love yoga, I love hiking. I had never set foot into a gym prior to getting this job. I fell more in love with the kickboxing and martial arts training. That was super fun. I try to act tough and cool and like I know what’s going on and I totally don’t. Having the ability to genuinely defend yourself is something no one can take away from you.
6. Two interviews of Dominic also appeared online. In the first, with “about.com” he talks playing Christian, his clumsiness and working with Mark Waters. Some excerpts are given below.
What was it about the character you found so interesting?
“The 5-year-old in me got to play a vampire. He gets to play with fire and fall in love with the princess and save the day. The little boy in me would have kicked my ass if I hadn’t taken this role.”
Are you clumsy in real life or is it just the set that made you horribly clumsy?
“Oh no, all the time. I’m a horribly clumsy person. Yeah, I’m dropping stuff, falling over all the time. I’m a lot less clumsy when I used to motorbike. When I was on my motorbike or when I’m skateboarding or long-boarding, I’m very elegant. Not ‘very elegant’ – I’m more elegant when I’m doing those sort of things, but when I’m walking down the street I will probably fall down.”
Speaking of life on the set, what was Mark Waters like as a director?
“Amazing. Mark is an actor’s director – that’s the best way of putting him. He knows exactly how to talk to us and to work with us and how to get the best performance out of us and taught us all of these tricks and tips that I can now move on and use the rest of my life, but he’s also the nicest man.”
In an interview at the press junket, published by Kidzworld, Dominic spoke about his school experiences, his interest in Greek mythology and Christian! Some excerpts below –
Kidzworld: At school, were you sporty or nerdy or….?
Dominic: I was musical. I still play a lot of music now because it’s a very cathartic thing for me, personally. “Oh, I’m feeling sad” or “I’m feeling happy” and I’ll sit down and play a song and I’ll feel better. I play guitar, a little piano and I sing a little…my own stuff.
Kidzworld: Now that you’ve played a type of vampire, do you want to play a zombie or anything like that?
Dominic: Something in the supernatural genre? I’m actually very into Greek mythology and always have been. Anything to do with the Gods or Demigods or Hercules or Perseus or Achilles. I’ve always been really, really interested in that sort of stuff. I have Hermes tattoo, the winged messenger. (He shows us his ankle. Yep, wings!).
Kidzworld: What are the aspects of the Christian character that you hope people learn from?
Dominic: The things that I want people to connect to and to learn from aren’t related to him being a vampire. They are related to the normal things that normal people go through in a normal high school. Those are the things that I wanted to learn. If people are watching Christian I’d want them to see that he’s loyal and he loves Lissa and it doesn’t really matter what people think about you. Good things come to those who deserve it and who’ve earned it. Christian really did. He’d earned himself a friend and a soulmate and he found it in Lissa.
7. Two interviews with author Richelle Mead were also published online. In an interview with The Young Folks, Richelle talked about the film, Zoey Deutch, the script as well as the fifth Bloodlines book, Silver Shadows, out later this year. Some excerpts are given below.
On the film –
“I have seen it, and I am in love with it,” Mead answered.On Zoey Deutch –
“My agent and I were talking about her, and when we saw the movie, Zoey was so effortlessly Rose. You don’t even realize it, like I couldn’t believe it. She has that attitude, and she brings it on camera. Off camera, she’s just so spunky; when she’s in the room, people know it. She’s not just spunk and humor, but she’s also a super caring and compassionate young woman. I fondly remember being on set, and she was worried about me being under the lights, I don’t know if you know this, but it’s really hot being on set. It was a long day on set for her, and she was worried about me, making sure I had enough water and I was comfortable. It’s funny because her caring reflects how Rose treats Lissa, and she has that fun attitude that we love, so Zoey was able to play both types well.”
On Daniel Waters writing the script –“[Getting the right screenwriter] was very important to me, and I didn’t know if they were going to get a screenwriter who was so deeply melodramatic that none of Rose’s attitude would carry through. Well, I just loved the script. I was especially relieved because he gets what I did with the book and fully realizes it. The comedy is there, and I know some people are worried about that based on the advertising, but it’s still with the tone of the book. The seriousness is still there. He was very conscientious about that. He understood what I was trying to do, and what I was doing was trying to balance a bunch of different tones. And you know, he carried that through to the script.”
In an interview with Popsugar, Richelle spoke about why fan’s shouldn’t be nervous about the film.
PS: After seeing the movie, what are you most proud of as a writer?
RM: The characters really translated well onto the screen. It’s always my biggest goal as a writer to make characters that, before you fall in love with them, you want to know everything that’s going to happen to them. That’s what hooks me as a reader. I put most of my work into the characters when I write, and I was so thrilled that the actors nailed it.
PS: What is the biggest change they made from the book to the movie?
RM: I can’t pinpoint one big one; it’s mostly a lot of little things throughout. They didn’t radically alter major plot points or change the ending. There is a handful of things where either they had to trim down a scene or if something didn’t play well visually, they may have enhanced it. One big thing that has thrown a few people off is that there are a few flashbacks and dream sequences that have been added on. When people see those in the trailers, they get confused and a little nervous because they think there’s been some radical plot alteration, but really it’s just something to help clarify the movie. This is a movie that you’re going to look at and know instantly what book it’s from. That’s not always the case with adaptations.
8. Speaking of Popsugar, Zoey Deutch and Lucy Fry visited them for an interview. Check out the video below.
And speaking of more video interviews, check out this one of Zoey, Lucy and Dominic with Houston Style Magazine.
Earlier yesterday, Zoey appeared on “Good Day LA” where compliments from the host made her hide in embarrassment!
9. Huffington Post published an article written by Mark Waters explaning why Vampire Academy is different to any other Young Adult book to movie adaptation that have hit the silver screen. Be sure to check it out.
10. Yesterday (Monday, Feb 3) kicked off the film’s release week with a meet and greet in Los Angeles as well as a party to launch the music soundtrack which was attended by – Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry, Danila Kozlovsky, Dominic Sherwood, Cameron Monaghan, Sami Gayle, Ashley Charles and Dominique Tipper, as well as the director Mark Waters, writer Daniel Waters and the producers. And we have the pictures!!!
First up, the meet and greet at The Grove in LA was attended by Zoey, Lucy, Dom, Cameron and Sami. Check out more photos at Fans of Vampire Academy.
Then the most adorable thing happened when Lucy started playing with a little dog and Zoey took the video. Watch it below –
Later, the party started at LURE nightclub and ROCKED on as Iggy Azalea (one of the contributing artists on the film’s soundtrack) took the stage and sang her hit numbers. Check out more photos at Fans of Vampire Academy.
Official VA Movie (@OfficialVAMovie) February 01, 2014
This roundup brings you more interviews, Q and As with the cast, a mall party and TWO new awesome TV spots!
1. First up, listen to the first track from the Vampire Academy Soundtrack, Jaymes Bullet’s “In Your Grave” was released a few hours ago and sounds great! The version on SoundCloud is explicit, but there will be a clean version on the soundtrack.
2. Next up, listen to the radio interview of Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry and Dominic Sherwood on Breathe Radio. The over 20 minute long chat with the gang gave us new insights about them and the film. Talking about fan reactions, Zoey said it excited her that there were so many people who are so passionate about the source material and it is alright for them to voice their opinions, but it wouldn’t change the way she worked or what she has done in the film. On whether they Googled themselves, Dom said that when you find 100 positive comments and one negative comment, the negative one makes him think “oh I’m not doing a good job” and so he only does it once in a blue moon. Lucy said she was nervous and excited for the film and Dom said they were all signed to do sequels (unless the filmmakers wouldn’t want them anymore – pfft, as if).
Talking about vampire fatigue, Lucy explained that this story was unlike anything else seen before and no humans are involved (not directly as Zoey mentioned the human feeder programme) with this world, which is just a fun magical world and there is no mystery of exploration because the characters are already embedded as Dominic added.
The talk show host (a guy) also mentioned that because of the humour in the trailer, a guy would be more inclined to see this and Zoey agreed adding that too much expositional dialogue in young adult films can be exhausting and that the embedded humour in the film was her favourite part. Lucy added that her boyfriend was reluctant to watch the film saying it was aimed at teen girls and about vampires but he actually loved the film. He had fun watching it and was really surprised, adding that he wasn’t expecting to like it, but loved it.
In the final segment, there was a laugh riot as Dominic pronounced “Twitter” in an English accent when asked about his social media and Zoey said she loved that (also mentioning her go to social media was Instagram). Lucy was the cutest when she confessed she didn’t know what her Twitter username was, so Dominic announced it for her. (For a full roundup of the cast/crew on social media, check out our Vampire Academy page). (Photos from Straight Male Friend‘s Facebook page).
3. The cast then headed to Facebook headquarters (and also got their facebook accounts verified – Zoey, Dominic, Lucy) where they participated in a Q&A with fans on the Vampire Academy Movie page. You can read the Q&A on Fans of Vampire Academy and/or Vampire Academy India. Some of our favourite answers by the cast are given below (photos from the official movie page and Zoey and Lucy’s instagrams) –
Q. Hey What is your best memory from the experience on Vampire Academy?
Dominic: The people i have met and the relationships that i have developed
Zoey: The people i have met and the relationships that i have developed
Lucy: Same, all the amazing people. Cast and Crew. It was so fun. And being in England. It was such a treat to be in London. The people for sure and it was such a treat to be in london… amazing place
Q. Hey guys! How exciting has this week been? Did it get overwhelming or too daunting at any point!?
Dominic: Its very exciting and I’m trying not to let it get to me! (as much as possible)
Lucy: It is really exciting- there is so much happening that it does feel quite overwhelming but in a way that is full of new ideas and great new experiences . My favorite thing is meeting the fans!
Q. What’s your favorite part of the movie? and is there going to be a 2nd one/ whole movie series with the books
Dominic: I love the ending
Lucy: I love…. the whole thing.
Q. What was each of your favourite scenes
Dominic: The attic scenes
Lucy: The opening scene
Q. What was the hardest part about filming this movie?
Dominic: The middle….(you will know when you see it)
Lucy: It was probably the torture scene… ouchies
Q. Is your movie staying real to the book?
Dominic: As much as we can, its pretty close yeh
Lucy: yes it is, but be prepared to enjoy the book in a new life as a film!
Q. Who’s the funniest cast member
4. Dominic Sherwood’s interview with Teen and Lucy Fry’s interview with Life is Good Everyday also appeared online. Further, Richelle Mead’s exclusive interview with Fangirlish was also published where she talked about the film and the MTV Movie Brawl. Some excerpts and snippets from these interviews are given below, but do to check out the full interviews above.
Dominic for TEEN
On director Mark Waters
“It’s such a pleasure to work with Mark. I never had a day where it seemed stressful. I knew what was happening, and I knew we were working toward deadlines, and Mark was under some stress, but he never pressured us… It was a really, really nice relationship.”
On his character, Christian Ozera
“He’s had a terrible upbringing because his parents [are] the worst things that are known in vampire culture; [they’ve done] the worst thing that they could possibly do. So all the people at school — I think it would be kind of like [at] any school, if your parents do something that’s seen as criminal or immoral or whatever, he’s neglected, and he’s pushed to one side, and he’s segregated and bullied by all the kids at school, so he ends up very much on his own; he turns to humor and sarcasm and that’s how he kind of defends himself.”
On his appearance in Vampire Academy
“My eyes are different colors normally, in reality. Christian and the entire Ozera family have these piercing, ice blue eyes. Mark wanted my eyes as is. I did have to watch what I [ate]… a little. Christian’s, like, skinny. We weren’t allowed out in the sun when we were filming, which was over the summer, so that was difficult.”
Which of the elements would he want in real life?
“It’d be fire, hands down.”
Lucy for Life is Good Everyday
Q: Did you do anything special to prepare for the film?
A: Lots of voice training to get my English accent perfect and yoga to get my princess posture! I also did lots of training with a physical theatre coach to find ways to physically manifest the pain Lissa feels over the loss of her parents.
Q: Friendship is the overshadowing theme in the film. How was it filming with a strong female cast?
A: Filming was amazing! We all got along really well and had a natural connection from the start. What really drew me to this film in the first place were the strong female roles- it is a liberating story for women.
Q: Why should people go see this film?
A: Because they will have lots of fun! It’s got action, comedy, romance and doesn’t take itself too seriously.
Q: This movie comes out close to Valentine’s Day. Do you have any plans this year?
A: I am not that really into Valentine’s Day as a romantic thing. I believe every day you should be romantic. At my high school we actually had a celebration as friends every year. I am hoping a lot of girls go to see this film on Valentine’s Day and celebrate their friendships.
Richelle Mead for Fangirlish
Q. There have been quite a few clips and stills that have been released. What has been the general feedback on social media and what do you think of them?
Richelle: I am a huge fan of everything that I have seen. I have read the script and I have seen an early cut of the movie. I have the big picture to look at. To me, it is very true to it and I think people are starting to feel that way the more they see actual footage from the movie.
What scene are you most excited to see on the big screen?
Richelle: I am most excited about the ending. Endings are my favorite part to write of the book. It’s what everything is building towards – all the clues, all the mysteries. It’s when everything comes together for me as a writer.
On the MTV Movie Brawl –
Richelle: It is really incredible to see what they do. It’s exactly what you said, they have hit out some really big titles. I don’t think readers have the same understanding of these fandoms and readership as we do on the publishing side. We see sales numbers. We know who is big and who is not. Vampire Academy has a huge following, but it really is dwarfed by some of these other ones.
It’s just incredible that they do this – that they form friendships with each other in different places, just for the sake of seeing this book that they love put up on this altar. It’s incredible.
5. Two NEW TV spots, “Humanity” and “Extraordinary” were released last night in the run up to the film’s release with new scenes and some strange new things that (are not from the book) that might be part of dream sequences. All in all, these videos are revving up our excitement for the film.
“We are the protectors, the guardians of humanity.” – Rose
“This where the outcast losers hang out?” – Rose
“I don’t bite, well not literally.” – Christian
“We learn fun new ways to maim and kill.” – Rose
6. The three, Zoey, Dom and Lucy then attended a mall Meet and Greet with fans in San Fransisco as well as a book signing at Barnes and Noble. They also did a press conference photo shoot. Some of the pictures are below and for more click on the links above.
There you have it … all the updates from yesterday with a whole lot more to come this weekend with the press conference scheduled in Los Angeles and a concert with singer Iggy Azalea and the cast of the film. Stay tuned.
And the promotions continue. The cast did a lot of interviews yesterday and we even got a first look at the sketches of the film’s costume designer, Ruth Myers. Check out all the interviews, videos and articles below.
1. While still in New York yesterday (Thursday, January 30) Sarah Hyland started off with an appearance on Canadian show BT Vancouver to promote the film and spoke about how this film showcases themes of female empowerment and is not about damsels in distress. Watch the interview below –
2. Sarah also appeared on The Morning Show where she spoke about the film, particularly training for the character and how her Vampire Academy character is so different from the Modern Family one. Check out the interview below –
3. Sarah also visited the offices of fashion and lifestyle magazines, Marie Claire and Vanity Fair for promoting the film.
4. Over in Texas, Zoey, Lucy and Dominic appeared on Great Day Houston, where the host, Deborah, fielded questions and the cast replied with fun answers. Watch the interview below –
On the obsession with vampires:
Lucy: I think there has been an obsession with vampires for centuries and its just changing with what the society is going through that time so we’ve gone from ”I want to suck your blood” to pop, teenage vampires who just go to school and want a normal life.”
On the film:
Dominic: It’s the dichotomy of normal teenagers going to a normal high school and the surreal element of the battle for good and evil and the supernatural.
Zoey: Acting is my passion, it is what i want to do forever, and also I have no other skills.
Dominic: [speaking about the spark that ignited a passion for acting] I used to watch a lot of Disney films and I used to watch Prince Charming and him getting the girl and I was like that’s what I want to be when I grow up.
On the film:
Dominic: I just saw it yesterday, they sent it to my hotel room but I’m one of the worst people, because I watch myself and go [groans] “I look like that”, “I sound funny”, “I was doing that with my face”, “I just look terrible”. So I just watched the entire movie and came out with a poor sense of self esteem. [Co-stars] are great, it’s amazing to see Sarah and Cameron and all the others, because I only had scenes with [Lucy and Zoey] and not with anyone else, so to see all the other guys and all the bits that I had actually read in the script and actually have them put them up on its feet is actually really cool and good to see.
Zoey: I have seen it and it is such a fun film, it’s not what people expect it to be and it’s really a good date movie. There is something for the guys, there’s action, it’s sexy, it’s funny … I really think it has something for everybody … and it’s a fun film.
Lucy: Yeah it’s a movie you go to see to have fun and the comedy in it plays really well juxtaposed with the kind of darkness of the academy and I think that’s kind of one of the really interesting things about it, it’s such a dark setting and it’s got this mystery of vampires in this historical school then it’s so light and it’s got this energy bouncing off of each other and it’s got this momentum and I think it’s the kind of film you go and see and it’s got the perfect mixture of all the elements of action and comedy and drama.
Check out some of these screen caps below –
5. Zoey then headed over for an interview on the airwaves with radio channel 99.7 [NOW!]. Listen to her interview below –
When asked if she was a badass, Zoey said “I’m definitely not. There was a lot of training, actually three and a half months of gym, kickboxing, martial arts training and stunt choreography but afterwards i definitely felt prepared that I had something to work.” On Rose, Zoey described her as strong and added, “Emotionally I find strength in her vulnerability, in her loyalty to her best friend, in her ability to make mistakes, acknowledge them and move forward.” She also added, “Lucy and I, strangely enough, have a very similar relationship in real life to the relationship in the film.” Make sure you hear the full interview above.
6. Ruth Myers, the costume designer for Vampire Academy, revealed her sketches for Rose’s training outfit, the dance dress as well as Dimitri’s duster. She also shared her costume making process from sketch to reality. Check out the article on E! Online and the photos below –
7. Tearaway NZ published an interview with author Richelle Mead where she talked about creating the world of Vampire Academy, writing from the point of view of Sydney in Bloodlines as well as her thoughts on the movie. Check out a few of her answers below, and make sure to read the full interview at the link given above.
Why vampires? What made you decide to write about vampires specifically?
Richelle: Before I wrote Vampire Academy, I’d already started two adult series, one about demons and one about fairies. I needed a new paranormal creature to work with for my teen series, and vampires fit the bill, especially after I’d studied Eastern European folklore at college. I’d learned some great Romanian vampire myths that I liked, so I decided to try working them into a series. At the time this was happening, vampires hadn’t hit their current phase of popularity, so I had no idea what I was getting into. It was very lucky timing.
What do you think of the movie being made of Vampire Academy? Any complaints or disappointments? Are you excited and have you been involved much in it?
Richelle: The movie’s been a lot of fun, and overall, I’m really pleased with it. My role has mostly been advisory, which is pretty normal for authors. I’m a book expert, and the movie people are movie experts, so I’m happy letting them do their jobs. It’s great that they do consult with me, though, and I’ve been asked questions about costumes or if certain changes will affect future books. Some authors never get asked that, so I’m super grateful they bring my opinion in. Books and movies are very different mediums, so changes are inevitable, but we’re pretty lucky in that most changes that have been made are small and are for the sake of time or to make something more interesting on the screen. All the main plot points are still there. And I can’t say enough about how wonderful the cast is. They look like their characters, but more importantly, they really understand their characters. In fact, some of them have the same personalities in real life! It’s been amazing watching them bring these roles to life and see how much they really love being part of the movie.
8. Lucy Fry did an interview on The Better Show, where she talked about getting the part in Vampire Academy, Mark Waters attention to detail, hiding from the sun to shoot as a pale Moroi as well as her experience on her upcoming film Now Add Honey with Portia de Rossi where she, an Australian, plays an American girl trying to adjust to life in Australia. Watch the interview below –
9. A new TV Spot was seen and includes a couple of new scenes and extended dialogue, especially Rose’s “To get to her, you’ll have to go through me.” Watch it below and see if you can spot something new!
10. Another really fun article with Zoey and Lucy at Buzzfeed headquarters has us laughing in splits! We learnt some great things about these two, some of which are listed below –
How did you celebrate getting your roles?
LF: I went to Pinkberry with my friends.
ZD: I’m very boring. I went out to dinner with my family.
If you had to give a superlative to Danila Kozlovsky what would it be?
LF: Best man (laughs).
11. Information about the world premiere of the film on February 4 has appeared thanks to Gossipgyal on Twitter, and according to her there will be no live stream of the premiere. The following are the details for the premiere –
‘Vampire Academy’ LA Premiere info:
WHO is attending:
VAMPIRE ACADEMY cast including Sarah Hyland, Zoey Deutch, Olga Kurylenko, Lucy Fry, Sami Gayle, Dominic Sherwood, Cameron Monaghan, Joely Richardson, Danila Kozlovsky, Ashley Charles, director Mark Waters, writer Daniel Waters (and more to be announced)!
WHEN: Tuesday, February 4th
PRESS CHECK-IN: 5:30 PM
ARRIVALS: 6:30 PM
SCREENING: 7:30 PM
WHERE: Regal Cinemas L.A. Live Stadium 14, 1000 W Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90015
Stay tuned, there are more interviews with Sami, Sarah, Zoey, Lucy and Dom coming up as well as the San Francisco Mall Party at Westfield Center. Don’t forget to check our Vampire Academy page for links to all the news and events taking place in the lead up to the film’s release.
The Vampire Academy fandom has been having a crazy, busy week, and we are still seven days away from the release of the film. If you’ve been following all our coverage, then you’ve surely seen the crazy busy first part to this and the fact that seven clips from the film landed yesterday! More publicity and promotional stuff follow below! Also check out our Vampire Academy page and bookmark – we’ll be posting all the updates there.
1. On Tuesday, Zoey Deutch was at the TEEN headquarters. Check out this awesome cute video of hers with quotes from the film.
“Looks like Aaron’s tried to replace you with a keychain version.” – Rose
“So tough and one of a kind, yet still a girl.” – Victor
“This is insane … insanely hot. What are we doing?” – Dimitri
2. On Wednesday, Sarah Hyland hopped onto a plane to New York and appeared on the Good Morning America show where she talked about the film and I must add, she met John Stamos, Uncle Jesse from Full House.
3. After GMA, Sarah hopped over to “Live with Kelly and Michael” where she spoke about her experience at the Grammy Awards, winning the SAG for Modern Family and Vampire Academy. They showed the clip of her character, Natalie, licking the wall and Sarah said it was a mixture of corn starch and syrup, but most importantly, it was edible and non-toxic. Check out the segment below –
4. Sarah has been doing a whole lot of press for the film, check out her red carpet interviews from last Sunday’s Grammy awards.
5. This really cute interview with Zoey and Lucy at the Buzzfeed office (on Monday) was published yesterday where both were quizzed about the other and the result was ADORBS. Check it out here!
Some of our favourites –
Q. What is Zoey’s favourite colour?
Lucy’s guess: Lime green but that’s a lie, she doesn’t have one.
Zoey’s answer: Not pale green! Don’t know.
LF: You lied!
ZD: No, I said it’s not pale green, don’t know.
Q. What is Lucy’s pet peeve?
Zoey’s guess: Tickling chin.
Lucy’s answer: Touching my face.
ZD: OH I GOT IT I GOT IT!
Q. What is Lucy’s Spirit animal?
Zoey’s guess: Dolphin.
Lucy’s answer: Dolphin.
ZD: Oh my god!
LF: That’s pretty good.
5. The VA Movie Mall Party event took place in Houston yesterday and in attendance were Zoey, Lucy and Dominic. Fans got makeovers done and took home swag bags with makeup and goodies in addition to meeting the stars! Check out more photos on Fans of Vampire Academy and Just Jared Jr.
6. Before the Mall Party, Red Carpet Ending did an interview with Zoey, Lucy and Dominic. They spoke about their reactions on getting the part, how they got into the skin of their characters and all of them agreed that Danila was the funniest guy on set! Watch the interview below –
7. Later on, the three went to a signing at Barnes and Noble bookstore. You can read a fan’s experience right here on Tumblr. and check out the photos on Fans of Vampire Academy! Check out a fan video below –
8. Sami Gayle‘s interview with We Got This Covered popped up which you can check out here! She said she liked the whole spur off the moment thing with the release date being pushed up and it was exciting to start promotions on the film. She also mentioned that she is off to Los Angeles to start with the film publicity. She also spoke about her Skype auditions and her love for Mean Girls. Be sure to watch the video.
9. If you are looking to refresh your memory or just want to know what Vampire Academy is about, check out this article from Yahoo! Lifestyle New Zealand.
10. Cast promo portraits have also popped up with Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry and Sami Gayle. The girls look so pretty. You can check out all the photographs on Fans of Vampire Academy.
11. Finally, the Vampire Academy Soundtrack was made available for pre-order on the US iTunes stores and includes an additional song – Goldfrapp’s Felt Mountain. So be sure to get your digital copy as well!
There is more great stuff coming up guys, mall parties in San Francisco, LA and New Jersey and of course … the world premiere at Regal Cinemas in Los Angeles on February 4! So be sure to check back with us for our extensive coverage!
ERMAGAD! The trailer for The Fault in our Stars, after being leaked earlier this week, is finally here in all its HD glory, though still a little earlier than previously anticipated. Watch it below and keep a tissue box handy. Also, spoilers ahead [seriously, read the book].
After a long wait, as the fans grew increasingly impatient and John Green became quite vocal about his situation …
John Green (@realjohngreen) January 29, 2014
Okay now REALLY SOON. (Like, 10 minutes.) #tfios—
John Green (@realjohngreen) January 29, 2014
John Green (@realjohngreen) January 29, 2014
… the trailer finally made it’s debut and became a worldwide trending topic!
Some screencaps from the trailer, which was a full 2 minutes and 30 seconds heart warming and heart breaking at the same time!
So many of these scenes are just like what we imagined. The best part is that we can really recognise these scenes from the book and as book fans, what more do we want? John Green’s book was full of awesome quotes and the trailer was no different.
Hazel’s Mom: “Hey, make some friends.”
Hazel [after bumping into Augustus]: “Sorry.”
Augustus/Gus [cheekily smiling]: “My bad.”
Hazel: [smiles like a fangirl].
Gus: “My fears? Oblivion.”
Gus: “What’s your name?”
Gus: “What’s your full name?”
Hazel: “Hazel Grace Lancaster. Why are you staring at me?”
Gus: “Cos you’re beautiful.”
Hazel: [blushes like a fangirl].
Gus: “I hope you realise, that you trying to keep your distance from me, in no way lessens my affection for you.”
Hazel: “Gus I’m a grenade …
“… One day I’m going to blow up … and I’m going to obliterate everything in my wake … “
” … And i don’t want to hurt you.”
Gus: “I reject that.”
Gus: “You don’t get to choose who you hurt in this world but you do have a say in who hurts you.”
Gus: “I’m in love with you Hazel Grace, and I know that love is just a shout into the void
and that oblivion is inevitable … and I’m in love with you.”
[It’s impossible not to get teary after that]
Hazel: “We are a hot mess.”
Isaac: “Are you angry?”
Hazel: “So angry.”
[You guys … their dresses, it looks like THAT scene].
Gus: “You need to break something.”
[Also … Nat Wolf is killing it as Isaac]
Hazel: “He gave me a forever within the numbered days
and I can’t tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity.”
If we are crying … you should be crying too.
NO I AM NOT OKAY!
Here is the song used in the trailer, OneRepublic’s “What You Wanted”. Listen to it while I gather my thoughts and feels.
We love the look of the film and especially LOVE that they’ve kept so many lines from the book. Shailene Woodley nails Hazel’s inner turmoil and attitude but the only thing I’m still wondering about her performance is if she made Hazel into an extrovert. At least in my head, Hazel was an introvert and a little shy and introverts don’t sit like this –
Ansel Elgort certainly captures the charm and cuteness that is Augustus Waters and does pull off the teenage look in most scenes. But in some scenes, the two leads do look a little older than your average teenagers. Don’t mind me, guys … I’m pretty sure I will love the film and their performances. However, someone who has stolen the show is Nat Wolf as Isaac especially in the egg throwing scene. Laura Dern and Sam Trammell as Hazel’s parents, play the part of her heartbroken parents well. Notably missing in the trailer are references to Peter van Houten (played by William Dafoe) and Gus’ cigarette metaphor, which we are dying to see. All in all, I’d be lying if I said that the trailer didn’t tug at my heart strings and water my nose. I’d be lying a lot! The film releases on June 6, 2014 and as a parting gift, we’ll give you one for the road –
Gus: “It’s a good life, Hazel Grace.”
… and another one for tumblr … we made it especially for you!
What did you think of the trailer?
Did you cry? Be honest.
The promotions and publicity for Vampire Academy are gearing up ahead of its February 7th release and now there are 7 … yes 7 NEW clips from the film that will leave you FANGIRLING beyond control. We’ll just do it now – ASDFGHJKL!!!
1. CLASS DISTURBANCE
First up is this clip, first revealed exclusive by Yahoo Movies that shows the scene from the book where Christian lights Ralf (Ray in the film) on fire! YOU GUYS, this scene is so PERF, it is so well adapted … that we can’t contain our joy!! OHMYGOD … bad boy Dom Sherwood rocks as Christian. [The Yahoo article (click above) also has the link from Zoey Deutch’s takeover of Yahoo’s Instagram]. Check out the clip below –
We even have a screenshot of the tweets exchanged on the day these scenes were presumably filmed, after Chris Mason’s (Ralf/Ray) tweet that suggested fire scenes. Harry Bradshaw plays Bruno, Mia’s friend (seen sitting next to Mia in the clip) and Raj Purewal plays a dhampir student (seen sitting behind Christian in the clip).
2. LISSA SHOWS OFF
Book fans will surely recognize this scene from the part of the book where Lissa starts getting in with the popular crowd once again as well as bagging her ex, Aaron, away from mean girl Mia. Also shown in the clip – Rose’s dislike for Lissa’s new behaviour!
In a scene that is not completely from the book, Natalie confesses her crush on Ray (Ralf in the book) – and you guys – this is so UNCANNY – because a certain Vampire Academy Roleplay on Facebook (involving two close friends of mine) started out a “relationship” between Natalie and Ray – and this was before there was any evidence of such a thing in the film – you guys, great minds think alike 😉
Also, while in the book it was Mason who tipped off Rose about the conditions of Mia’s family, here it is actually Natalie and Rose who do the detective work! Check it out –
4.NOSE JOB IN MONTANA
This scene picks off right after the second clip with Natalie being her nerdy best and Rose with her quick one liners as seen before in the trailer.
5. THE DANCE
Previously released by MTV, this clip had been cut to fit into a time slot and seemed rushed and OTT. Not anymore, although we’re still a little unsure about the dialogue used here … no one can argue that Zoey Deutch’s Rose OWNS the clip!
6. BLOOD MESSAGE
This clip starts off with a conversation between Rose and Natalie discussing how the Queen was a mean one to Lissa … just like she was in the book – so fret not from that first teaser trailer. Rose and Natalie find a blood message which Natalie actually tastes to determine what kind of blood it is, while Lissa tries to shake it off, calling it a prank because the pranksters clearly didn’t know how to spell.
In this clip, we have Rose getting into Lissa’s head through the bond and discovers Lissa confronting Christian, who then calls her out on her hair flipping – guys, things are going to get HEATED here!
So there you have it – these seven new clips should leave you excited and wanting more – and you shall get more come February 7, 2013 when the film opens in US and Canada. Don’t forget to check out our round up of Vampire Academy press and goodies and check back daily for new developments!
With the release of Vampire Academy nearby, the publicity and promos are gearing up and it’s impossible to keep track! Especially when you count all the TV spots and trailers they keep releasing every two days! When the tagline said ”Prepare to be Tested” back in July, 2013 … this is surely what they meant! We bring you a roundup of all that has happened so far. Check our Vampire Academy page to make sure you are up to date with everything going on.
1. First up – Check out this poster, definitely an improvement with the colour and tagline and our Morois and Dhampirs look fierce and ready to battle, in an exclusive reveal via Buzzfeed.
2. Check out the songs from the Vampire Academy soundtrack, we’ve updated with the CHVRCHES cover of Bela Lugosi’s Dead and all other songs (except one yet to be released) right here and the CHVRCHES cover right below –
3. Danila Kolzovsky (Dimitri Belikov) attended a press conference in Russia to talk about the film. Read the English Translation of the interview which is SUPER ADORBS on Kozlovsky Brazil and if you want to watch him, and lets be honest, who wouldn’t even if they don’t understand Russian, watch it below!
Check out some of our favourite highlights from the press conference –
Danila on Skyping with Mark Waters (on auditioning for VA):
“I showed him two scenes from Richelle’s 1st book. The first scene is how real a Dhampir must kill a Strigoi. I showed him some gestures and read the text. The second scene was about how Dimitri first understood he was falling for Roza. I must show how I see her (Roza), what i’m thinking, how i’m looking at her, what i’m thinking about her.”
Danila on his Vampire Academy Movie partners:
“All the guys are so young (i repeat: so young!) But all of them are incredibly talented. They (Dominic & Lucy) are big professionals but they’re funny too. They made my hard work easier because both have a great sense of humor. There were a lot of joke and laugh during the shooting. They (Dominic & Lucy) helped me with my adaptation very much! She (Zoey Deutch) works so much and so hard! She had only one day off on this shooting, but i never heard complaints from her.”
Danila on Richelle Mead:
“I must say my personal thanks to this amazing writer and woman. She created a very interesting character: Dimitri. She allowed him to fall in love, to love and to protect those he loves! He’s a gentleman and i really appreciate it! Thank you, Richelle!”
Journalist: Can you compare Vampire Academy with Twilight or Harry Potter, for example?
“I never watched Twilight. But i watched Harry Potter! I’m a real fan of this story. Once i watched all the Harry Potter movies in a whole day. (Everyone has a bad day when we want to relax, don’t we?) – Danila laughs – I can’t compare these movies. Every single one of them has their own mythology. Maybe i can only say that the main action of these stories is at schools (or Academy). But i don’t see other points.”
4. Sami Gayle (Mia Rinaldi) appeared on PIX11 to speak about Vampire Academy. She spoke about how Vampire Academy was different from other vampire movies because it was set in a school and is about the tribulations of teenagers at school and how difficult it is to grow up in the stage between adolescents and adults, something both demographics will be able to relate to. Check out the interview below –
You can also check out the screencaps and transcription on Fans of Vampire Academy.
5. Sarah Hyland (Natalie Dashkov) appeared on the radio with Ryan Seacrest to talk about Vampire Academy. Sarah said that she was excited for her fans to see the film because it is so different than anything else she’s ever done in the past. She described her character as being nerdy, wearing fake pimples, glasses and frizzy hair. Listen to the session below –
6. Zoey Deutch (Rose Hathaway) and Lucy Fry (Lissa Dragomir) took over a Reddit AMA session, answering questions from fans. Check it out on Fans of Vampire Academy. Our favourites are shown below –
7. Zoey and Lucy then appeared live on Huffington Post to chat about Vampire Academy. They looked super cute –
Zoey spoke about how funny Vampire Academy is and Lucy added that it takes a cheekiness to vampires along with the power and darkness that comes with being a vampire. Watch the interview below –
Check out more screencaps and some quotes on Fans of Vampire Academy.
8. Richelle Mead has seen the movie and she loved it! Last night she took over @VAOfficialMovie‘s Twitter handle to chat with fans who had questions for her. Check out the excerpts below and read her full interview here on Fans of Vampire Academy or Her Royal Guardian. Some of our favourites are below –
Hey there! This is Richelle Mead, taking over this account for the next hour to answer your questions about the VA movie!—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@EverlarkFaye Yes, esp b/c all my fave scenes were in there. If one of your faves was cut, you might be sad, but overall, they kept most!—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@OOhAlley Yes! I intended the book to be a mix of seriousness, romance, & humor, & the movie nails it (no matter what some ads might seem!)—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@NorLovesGlitter Last Stand is my favorite by far. If you haven't seen it, go search and check it out! Very dark and lots of action.—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@SuperSilverJay Serious w/a sense of humor, just like the books! The ads show a lot of humor to pull in new people, but fans will approve.—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@nicky_greece93 There are some dream sequences and background stories that don't change the book & will make sense when you see it. 🙂—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
.@olicitys Nope. I'd say 90% is from book 1, then the rest are small book-to-movie changes or extra background info to explain things.—
Vampire Academy (@VAOfficialMovie) January 27, 2014
9. A few days earlier, Dominic Sherwood (Christian Ozera) did an interview for Hypable which is so insightful. Be sure to read it. Our favourite Q&As …
Q: How did you create the character of Christian?
A: “I went to six auditions for the part of Christian. This is really embarrassing, I worked at Hollister just up the road from where the auditions were being held and I would do an audition one day and my agent would ring me up and say, “that was great but they want you to make him funnier.” I would go in and do that and then I would get a phone call saying, “yeah, that was great but they want you to go in and make him darker, and make him poutier.” I was like, “oh my god, you don’t know what you want!” But when I got offered the role I realized that Christian was all those things.”
Q: What was it like to use fire as Christian’s element?
A: “I was so excited to get to play with fire. It was unreal. We toyed around with the idea early on with this special gel where they could set my hands on fire. I could have done all this crazy stuff with it but we ended up not using it. We had live fire on the set for the whole ending sequence but again, I’m not allowed to mention, but it was cool. We had fire very close to my body at one point and the stunt and safety team had gotten to know me by then and they knew I was pretty clumsy and dumb at times. They were like, “don’t put your hands in the fire whatever you do.” I was like, “Cool. I will try to do that guys, not put my hands in open flame.””
Q: Do you have a message for the fans?
A: “It would be: thank you. For all of the support you have given us and being so nice to us. The MTV Movie Brawl is going on right now and they are so 100% behind us. Thank you, is all I can say. I wish I had more eloquent words, more poetic words, to give you but thanks is all I’ve got.”
There you go, calling all VA fans, book fans, YA fans, vote for Vampire Academy in the MTV Movie Brawl and make it the number one movie, click here.
10. Also don’t miss all the upcoming promos and contests such as winning tickets to the LA premiere and other events like the meet and greet in different US cities and promos coming up, check out the list below, courtesy Fans of Vampire Academy and Vampire Academy’s Official Movie Facebook Event page –
January 28: Zoey Deutch is taking over Yahoo Insta
January 29: Kelly and Michael with Sarah Hyland
January 29: Red carpet endings meeting the cast
January 29: VA Movie Mall Party, 2 PM local time, Houston Galleria, Houston, TX
January 29: Book signing at Barnes & Noble in The Woodlands (Zoey, Lucy and Dom)
January 31: Sami on the Talk (CBS)
January 31: VA Movie Mall Party, 2 PM local time, Westfield San Francisco Centre, San Francisco, CA
February 1: Press conference LA
February 3: VA Movie Mall Party, 2 PM local time, The Grove, Los Angeles, CA
February 4: LA Premiere, Regal theatre, Los Angeles, CA
February 6: VA Movie Mall Party, 2 PM local time, Westfield Garden State Plaza Mall, Parasmus, NJ
February 6: Zoey Deutch in Under the Gunn
So sign up and attend the events if you live in those cities!
11. Stay tuned … lots more coming from the world of Vampire Academy … speaking of which, check out the cool new website “World of Vampire Academy” … there are lots of goodies, information on the different levels of guardian training, and this SUPER ADORBS video made by St. Vlad’s students holding a decathlon –