This roundup brings you more interviews, Q and As with the cast, a mall party and TWO new awesome TV spots!
1. First up, listen to the first track from the Vampire Academy Soundtrack, Jaymes Bullet’s “In Your Grave” was released a few hours ago and sounds great! The version on SoundCloud is explicit, but there will be a clean version on the soundtrack.
2. Next up, listen to the radio interview of Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry and Dominic Sherwood on Breathe Radio. The over 20 minute long chat with the gang gave us new insights about them and the film. Talking about fan reactions, Zoey said it excited her that there were so many people who are so passionate about the source material and it is alright for them to voice their opinions, but it wouldn’t change the way she worked or what she has done in the film. On whether they Googled themselves, Dom said that when you find 100 positive comments and one negative comment, the negative one makes him think “oh I’m not doing a good job” and so he only does it once in a blue moon. Lucy said she was nervous and excited for the film and Dom said they were all signed to do sequels (unless the filmmakers wouldn’t want them anymore – pfft, as if).
Talking about vampire fatigue, Lucy explained that this story was unlike anything else seen before and no humans are involved (not directly as Zoey mentioned the human feeder programme) with this world, which is just a fun magical world and there is no mystery of exploration because the characters are already embedded as Dominic added.
The talk show host (a guy) also mentioned that because of the humour in the trailer, a guy would be more inclined to see this and Zoey agreed adding that too much expositional dialogue in young adult films can be exhausting and that the embedded humour in the film was her favourite part. Lucy added that her boyfriend was reluctant to watch the film saying it was aimed at teen girls and about vampires but he actually loved the film. He had fun watching it and was really surprised, adding that he wasn’t expecting to like it, but loved it.
In the final segment, there was a laugh riot as Dominic pronounced “Twitter” in an English accent when asked about his social media and Zoey said she loved that (also mentioning her go to social media was Instagram). Lucy was the cutest when she confessed she didn’t know what her Twitter username was, so Dominic announced it for her. (For a full roundup of the cast/crew on social media, check out our Vampire Academy page). (Photos from Straight Male Friend‘s Facebook page).
3. The cast then headed to Facebook headquarters (and also got their facebook accounts verified – Zoey, Dominic, Lucy) where they participated in a Q&A with fans on the Vampire Academy Movie page. You can read the Q&A on Fans of Vampire Academy and/or Vampire Academy India. Some of our favourite answers by the cast are given below (photos from the official movie page and Zoey and Lucy’s instagrams) –
Q. Hey What is your best memory from the experience on Vampire Academy?
Dominic: The people i have met and the relationships that i have developed
Zoey: The people i have met and the relationships that i have developed
Lucy: Same, all the amazing people. Cast and Crew. It was so fun. And being in England. It was such a treat to be in London. The people for sure and it was such a treat to be in london… amazing place
Q. Hey guys! How exciting has this week been? Did it get overwhelming or too daunting at any point!?
Dominic: Its very exciting and I’m trying not to let it get to me! (as much as possible)
Lucy: It is really exciting- there is so much happening that it does feel quite overwhelming but in a way that is full of new ideas and great new experiences . My favorite thing is meeting the fans!
Q. What’s your favorite part of the movie? and is there going to be a 2nd one/ whole movie series with the books
Dominic: I love the ending
Lucy: I love…. the whole thing.
Q. What was each of your favourite scenes
Dominic: The attic scenes
Lucy: The opening scene
Q. What was the hardest part about filming this movie?
Dominic: The middle….(you will know when you see it)
Lucy: It was probably the torture scene… ouchies
Q. Is your movie staying real to the book?
Dominic: As much as we can, its pretty close yeh
Lucy: yes it is, but be prepared to enjoy the book in a new life as a film!
Q. Who’s the funniest cast member
4. Dominic Sherwood’s interview with Teen and Lucy Fry’s interview with Life is Good Everyday also appeared online. Further, Richelle Mead’s exclusive interview with Fangirlish was also published where she talked about the film and the MTV Movie Brawl. Some excerpts and snippets from these interviews are given below, but do to check out the full interviews above.
Dominic for TEEN
On director Mark Waters
“It’s such a pleasure to work with Mark. I never had a day where it seemed stressful. I knew what was happening, and I knew we were working toward deadlines, and Mark was under some stress, but he never pressured us… It was a really, really nice relationship.”
On his character, Christian Ozera
“He’s had a terrible upbringing because his parents [are] the worst things that are known in vampire culture; [they’ve done] the worst thing that they could possibly do. So all the people at school — I think it would be kind of like [at] any school, if your parents do something that’s seen as criminal or immoral or whatever, he’s neglected, and he’s pushed to one side, and he’s segregated and bullied by all the kids at school, so he ends up very much on his own; he turns to humor and sarcasm and that’s how he kind of defends himself.”
On his appearance in Vampire Academy
“My eyes are different colors normally, in reality. Christian and the entire Ozera family have these piercing, ice blue eyes. Mark wanted my eyes as is. I did have to watch what I [ate]… a little. Christian’s, like, skinny. We weren’t allowed out in the sun when we were filming, which was over the summer, so that was difficult.”
Which of the elements would he want in real life?
“It’d be fire, hands down.”
Lucy for Life is Good Everyday
Q: Did you do anything special to prepare for the film?
A: Lots of voice training to get my English accent perfect and yoga to get my princess posture! I also did lots of training with a physical theatre coach to find ways to physically manifest the pain Lissa feels over the loss of her parents.
Q: Friendship is the overshadowing theme in the film. How was it filming with a strong female cast?
A: Filming was amazing! We all got along really well and had a natural connection from the start. What really drew me to this film in the first place were the strong female roles- it is a liberating story for women.
Q: Why should people go see this film?
A: Because they will have lots of fun! It’s got action, comedy, romance and doesn’t take itself too seriously.
Q: This movie comes out close to Valentine’s Day. Do you have any plans this year?
A: I am not that really into Valentine’s Day as a romantic thing. I believe every day you should be romantic. At my high school we actually had a celebration as friends every year. I am hoping a lot of girls go to see this film on Valentine’s Day and celebrate their friendships.
Richelle Mead for Fangirlish
Q. There have been quite a few clips and stills that have been released. What has been the general feedback on social media and what do you think of them?
Richelle: I am a huge fan of everything that I have seen. I have read the script and I have seen an early cut of the movie. I have the big picture to look at. To me, it is very true to it and I think people are starting to feel that way the more they see actual footage from the movie.
What scene are you most excited to see on the big screen?
Richelle: I am most excited about the ending. Endings are my favorite part to write of the book. It’s what everything is building towards – all the clues, all the mysteries. It’s when everything comes together for me as a writer.
On the MTV Movie Brawl –
Richelle: It is really incredible to see what they do. It’s exactly what you said, they have hit out some really big titles. I don’t think readers have the same understanding of these fandoms and readership as we do on the publishing side. We see sales numbers. We know who is big and who is not. Vampire Academy has a huge following, but it really is dwarfed by some of these other ones.
It’s just incredible that they do this – that they form friendships with each other in different places, just for the sake of seeing this book that they love put up on this altar. It’s incredible.
5. Two NEW TV spots, “Humanity” and “Extraordinary” were released last night in the run up to the film’s release with new scenes and some strange new things that (are not from the book) that might be part of dream sequences. All in all, these videos are revving up our excitement for the film.
“We are the protectors, the guardians of humanity.” – Rose
“This where the outcast losers hang out?” – Rose
“I don’t bite, well not literally.” – Christian
“We learn fun new ways to maim and kill.” – Rose
6. The three, Zoey, Dom and Lucy then attended a mall Meet and Greet with fans in San Fransisco as well as a book signing at Barnes and Noble. They also did a press conference photo shoot. Some of the pictures are below and for more click on the links above.
There you have it … all the updates from yesterday with a whole lot more to come this weekend with the press conference scheduled in Los Angeles and a concert with singer Iggy Azalea and the cast of the film. Stay tuned.