And the promotions continue. The cast did a lot of interviews yesterday and we even got a first look at the sketches of the film’s costume designer, Ruth Myers. Check out all the interviews, videos and articles below.
1. While still in New York yesterday (Thursday, January 30) Sarah Hyland started off with an appearance on Canadian show BT Vancouver to promote the film and spoke about how this film showcases themes of female empowerment and is not about damsels in distress. Watch the interview below –
2. Sarah also appeared on The Morning Show where she spoke about the film, particularly training for the character and how her Vampire Academy character is so different from the Modern Family one. Check out the interview below –
3. Sarah also visited the offices of fashion and lifestyle magazines, Marie Claire and Vanity Fair for promoting the film.
4. Over in Texas, Zoey, Lucy and Dominic appeared on Great Day Houston, where the host, Deborah, fielded questions and the cast replied with fun answers. Watch the interview below –
On the obsession with vampires:
Lucy: I think there has been an obsession with vampires for centuries and its just changing with what the society is going through that time so we’ve gone from ”I want to suck your blood” to pop, teenage vampires who just go to school and want a normal life.”
On the film:
Dominic: It’s the dichotomy of normal teenagers going to a normal high school and the surreal element of the battle for good and evil and the supernatural.
Zoey: Acting is my passion, it is what i want to do forever, and also I have no other skills.
Dominic: [speaking about the spark that ignited a passion for acting] I used to watch a lot of Disney films and I used to watch Prince Charming and him getting the girl and I was like that’s what I want to be when I grow up.
On the film:
Dominic: I just saw it yesterday, they sent it to my hotel room but I’m one of the worst people, because I watch myself and go [groans] “I look like that”, “I sound funny”, “I was doing that with my face”, “I just look terrible”. So I just watched the entire movie and came out with a poor sense of self esteem. [Co-stars] are great, it’s amazing to see Sarah and Cameron and all the others, because I only had scenes with [Lucy and Zoey] and not with anyone else, so to see all the other guys and all the bits that I had actually read in the script and actually have them put them up on its feet is actually really cool and good to see.
Zoey: I have seen it and it is such a fun film, it’s not what people expect it to be and it’s really a good date movie. There is something for the guys, there’s action, it’s sexy, it’s funny … I really think it has something for everybody … and it’s a fun film.
Lucy: Yeah it’s a movie you go to see to have fun and the comedy in it plays really well juxtaposed with the kind of darkness of the academy and I think that’s kind of one of the really interesting things about it, it’s such a dark setting and it’s got this mystery of vampires in this historical school then it’s so light and it’s got this energy bouncing off of each other and it’s got this momentum and I think it’s the kind of film you go and see and it’s got the perfect mixture of all the elements of action and comedy and drama.
Check out some of these screen caps below –
5. Zoey then headed over for an interview on the airwaves with radio channel 99.7 [NOW!]. Listen to her interview below –
When asked if she was a badass, Zoey said “I’m definitely not. There was a lot of training, actually three and a half months of gym, kickboxing, martial arts training and stunt choreography but afterwards i definitely felt prepared that I had something to work.” On Rose, Zoey described her as strong and added, “Emotionally I find strength in her vulnerability, in her loyalty to her best friend, in her ability to make mistakes, acknowledge them and move forward.” She also added, “Lucy and I, strangely enough, have a very similar relationship in real life to the relationship in the film.” Make sure you hear the full interview above.
6. Ruth Myers, the costume designer for Vampire Academy, revealed her sketches for Rose’s training outfit, the dance dress as well as Dimitri’s duster. She also shared her costume making process from sketch to reality. Check out the article on E! Online and the photos below –
7. Tearaway NZ published an interview with author Richelle Mead where she talked about creating the world of Vampire Academy, writing from the point of view of Sydney in Bloodlines as well as her thoughts on the movie. Check out a few of her answers below, and make sure to read the full interview at the link given above.
Why vampires? What made you decide to write about vampires specifically?
Richelle: Before I wrote Vampire Academy, I’d already started two adult series, one about demons and one about fairies. I needed a new paranormal creature to work with for my teen series, and vampires fit the bill, especially after I’d studied Eastern European folklore at college. I’d learned some great Romanian vampire myths that I liked, so I decided to try working them into a series. At the time this was happening, vampires hadn’t hit their current phase of popularity, so I had no idea what I was getting into. It was very lucky timing.
What do you think of the movie being made of Vampire Academy? Any complaints or disappointments? Are you excited and have you been involved much in it?
Richelle: The movie’s been a lot of fun, and overall, I’m really pleased with it. My role has mostly been advisory, which is pretty normal for authors. I’m a book expert, and the movie people are movie experts, so I’m happy letting them do their jobs. It’s great that they do consult with me, though, and I’ve been asked questions about costumes or if certain changes will affect future books. Some authors never get asked that, so I’m super grateful they bring my opinion in. Books and movies are very different mediums, so changes are inevitable, but we’re pretty lucky in that most changes that have been made are small and are for the sake of time or to make something more interesting on the screen. All the main plot points are still there. And I can’t say enough about how wonderful the cast is. They look like their characters, but more importantly, they really understand their characters. In fact, some of them have the same personalities in real life! It’s been amazing watching them bring these roles to life and see how much they really love being part of the movie.
8. Lucy Fry did an interview on The Better Show, where she talked about getting the part in Vampire Academy, Mark Waters attention to detail, hiding from the sun to shoot as a pale Moroi as well as her experience on her upcoming film Now Add Honey with Portia de Rossi where she, an Australian, plays an American girl trying to adjust to life in Australia. Watch the interview below –
9. A new TV Spot was seen and includes a couple of new scenes and extended dialogue, especially Rose’s “To get to her, you’ll have to go through me.” Watch it below and see if you can spot something new!
10. Another really fun article with Zoey and Lucy at Buzzfeed headquarters has us laughing in splits! We learnt some great things about these two, some of which are listed below –
How did you celebrate getting your roles?
LF: I went to Pinkberry with my friends.
ZD: I’m very boring. I went out to dinner with my family.
If you had to give a superlative to Danila Kozlovsky what would it be?
LF: Best man (laughs).
11. Information about the world premiere of the film on February 4 has appeared thanks to Gossipgyal on Twitter, and according to her there will be no live stream of the premiere. The following are the details for the premiere –
‘Vampire Academy’ LA Premiere info:
WHO is attending:
VAMPIRE ACADEMY cast including Sarah Hyland, Zoey Deutch, Olga Kurylenko, Lucy Fry, Sami Gayle, Dominic Sherwood, Cameron Monaghan, Joely Richardson, Danila Kozlovsky, Ashley Charles, director Mark Waters, writer Daniel Waters (and more to be announced)!
WHEN: Tuesday, February 4th
PRESS CHECK-IN: 5:30 PM
ARRIVALS: 6:30 PM
SCREENING: 7:30 PM
WHERE: Regal Cinemas L.A. Live Stadium 14, 1000 W Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90015
Stay tuned, there are more interviews with Sami, Sarah, Zoey, Lucy and Dom coming up as well as the San Francisco Mall Party at Westfield Center. Don’t forget to check our Vampire Academy page for links to all the news and events taking place in the lead up to the film’s release.