Teen Wolf’s explosive and action packed mid-season finale bought resolutions to some stories while teasing at what is to come in the Winter season starting January 6, 2014.
The finale picked up where episode 11 had ended. Scott, Stiles and Allison found themselves in an empty room with the base of the Nemeton tree. The three see flashbacks from their past (the first episode, the night when Scott was bit by Peter) and we realise just how much the three are connected not just because of that incident, but also because they were all near the nemeton tree on that night.
When the three finally wake up, Deaton informs them that they were under for 16 hours, and the full moon would rise in 4!
We also find Cora helping Derek recover (Derek is no longer an alpha after he helped heal Cora) and Uncle Peter misses no opportunity to remind them all of the ominous events to come.
So while Derek and Cora try to move out of harm’s way, the ultimate showdown occurs in his apartment, between Kali and Jennifer, the Darach, who manages to kill Kali, her former … boss, as well as snaps the neck of the twins in their wolf transformation (my heart snapped too when that happened! Poor Lydia, who was witnessing these events and then screamed her banshee scream which attracted Derek back to the loft!
Elsewhere, Stiles suffers an accident (this episode really resulted in many skipped heartbeats) and Isaac and Allison look for the parents, all the while the real showdown of the night starts taking place with Deucalion and Scott facing of Jennifer and Derek (who basically is under a love spell – I’m joking – he takes Jennifer’s side because she promises him the Deucalion is the big bad wolf and will stop at nothing until he destroys everything!)
But of course, no one is a match for the ‘Demon Wolf’ … I suppose he really is the Big Bad Wolf!
Red Riding Hood – stay away!
The full moon only lasts so long, and the ensuing lunar eclipse gives the Darach her 15 minutes of fame – look, she even dressed up for her night!
Her first target is Deucalion but Derek tricks her into giving Deucalion his sight back so he can see with his eyes the damage his actions caused when Kali almost killed her. This drains her of her powers and she asks Derek to kill Deucalion and when he refuses, she starts attacking him – until – those 15 minutes of fame are up and the moon is back to powering the wolves!
When Jennifer traps herself within a circle of mountain ash – Scott powers through (finally) and in the process becomes a true Alpha Wolf! Woot Woot! He tells Jennifer to stop the storm or else he would kill her, but before he can actually do so, Deucalion steps forward and slashes her throat!
And would you believe it – all is well in Beacon Hills again, as Deaton has managed to save the twin wolves and storm subsides.
Even Stiles made it through his accident! Yippie!
Allison convinces her father to train her in the arts by quoting something in French which dad-of-the-year Chris Argent repeats “We protect those who cannot protect themselves”.
The closing montage (featuring a voice-over by Scott) shows Derek and Cora packing up and leaving their apartment, Scott’s dad making an attempt to connect and Scott himself locating his friends in school!
- Where is Derek going and WHY does Scott think he many not come back?
- We know that Adelaine Kane (the actress who plays Cora) will be appearing as the lead in CW’s “Reign” as Mary, Queen of Scots this fall – what does that mean for her continued presence on Teen Wolf in the Winter season?
- So Isaac and Allison? poor Scott!
- The twins are here to stay!! We couldn’t be happier – but now that Lydia and Aiden are an item … what happens with Stiles and that kiss from episode 11?
- What kind of mischief is Scott’s dad going to create in Beacon Hills? And do we really need someone from law enforcement to be in out of the loop of the supernatural going ons in town?
- Do you think Deucalion will stay away? What happened to the other members of his alpha pack?
- What kind of creatures do you think will now be ‘attracted’ to visit Beacon Hills after the gang’s little experiment with death?
- Do you think the threat of the Darach is over? And what about the ‘threat of Uncle Peter? — Well, these questions we can actually answer now – so scroll below!
Its not over until its over! Jennifer managed to crawl back to the nemeton tree base, hoping to heal once again from its powers as she had done in the past – but alas, who’s wolfy hand is that – none other than Uncle Peter – SHOCKER!
Well, we all knew Uncle Peter was up to no good – he never is! So what was he doing here? Just a little something for the audience’s benefit with Jennifer confirming his plans of how he intended to steal Scott’s alpha powers and become an alpha again – Uncle Peter took offense to this word, slashed Jennifer’s throat for a final time that night and scream into the empty night about how he has always been the alpha!
So really, a ton of speculation can come from this episode especially now that we can confirm that Uncle Peter has been evil all along and this just makes the wait until January 6, 2014 … that much more unbearable!
- For a more detailed review of the episode – check out Hypable!
- ‘Teen Wolf’ Winter Finale Recap: Scott Faces His Final Battle With Jennifer (hollywoodlife.com)